⋆33⋆

Ken's pov

Ken's pov

By the time we saw her, a crowd was formed around that area. But, they maintained a safe distance from her as if she is dangerous. Of course, they will think she is dangerous. These people and their old beliefs. I wanted to protect her from this brainless, thoughtless, heartless people.

She saw us and I tried to go towards her. But, dad tightly gripped my hand and forcefully held me in place. I felt the heat rising through my body. When I looked at dad, I wasn't sure what kind of expression he held. There was sadness, fear, care, love, hate, anger and pity, all at the same time.

She saw what happened between me and dad, and she took a small step in our direction and stone hit her. I gasped in horror. That's when I noticed the things the people were holding. There were stones, sticks of various sizes and some people even held random items. They took everything they can use a weapon while running towards here. One man even had an axe in his hand. I doubt whether she saw that. Some were even calling her a witch and that's when I thought that I would have lost my control if dad wasn't holding me in place.

This was exactly what dad and mom feared. I looked at silver. She again took a small and slow step towards us and one more stone hit her. I watched it all, helplessly. I wondered if dad would stay with me if I defend her from all these people. More than that, I wondered if we can do that even if he stays with me. But, his strong grip cleared my doubt that he is more terrified than I am and it was clear that he won't release me from the grip.

Silver had a confused expression. She watched us. I felt guilty about not helping her. If I go there, we will be standing against the whole of Etherea.  Thinking about that made me want to pee in my pants. I can't even imagine what might be going on in her mind.

Silver’s facial expression changed. She glanced at us and I didn't understand at that moment that it will be the last time I will ever see her. Her eyes searched our faces and as if getting the thing she was searching for, she shifted her gaze. She glanced around her, and she ran. It all happened in the blink of an eye.

People ran behind her. I thought that they would catch up with her. But, she ran with newfound energy, and she was way faster than them. We stood there dumbstruck watching the angry mob chasing her as she ran for her life.

As if everything is calm now, dad loosened his grip on my hand and walked towards our home. I slowly trailed after him. When we reached home, two tear-stained faces welcomed us. As if sensing the things we are going to tell them, their eyes began to well-up.

Without looking at them, dad made his way to one of the chairs in our hall and sat there. He sat with his elbows perched on his knees and slowly he covered his face with his hands. He was weeping silently. I have never seen him like this in my life.

Mom watched him and then looked at me. Her eyes pleaded to me to say what happened.

“We lost her.” I told her. My voice was barely a whisper. Finally, when I said the truth aloud, it became hard for me to control my feelings.