Prologue

It was fall in Tenri, Japan. Light had begun to slip away, the night drawing closer, yet a child sat still on the rusty swing set of a small park. She rocked back and forth slowly, listening to the chains creak. She grasped the rough metal, peeling at the chipped paint. She watched a single leaf snap, floating down from the large oak tree, the orange color becoming vibrant in the setting sun. A gentle breeze reminded the small girl the days would only grow colder, longer. She felt a chill run down her spine. Someone was watching her. She turned her head slightly, freezing, then blinking a few times. The bushes were empty. She was alone or so she thought.

The girl jumped slightly at the sound of soft sniffling, and turned to her left. She hadn't noticed the young girl sitting next to her, crying. The girl was small like herself, and the two appeared to be the same age.

The sad child had brown eyes and long brown hair, with small freckles on her face. As she examined this mysterious girl she noticed a large bruise on her left cheek. The crying girl was holding her face with her hands, clearly in pain, yet seemingly, not from her physical state. "Why are you crying?" asked the swinging girl, flailing her feet. She was well aware she did not know the girl, but curiosity got the better of her. She looked distraught, and the other could not understand why.

"Oh... I'm fine." The girl gave her a small smile, very clearly strained.

"Why are you lying?" She asked. She knew it was rude, but she did not enjoy falsehood.

"What? I-I'm not!" The child replied, removing her hand from her face, revealing the severity of the bruise.

"Don't lie to me. Mommy says lying to people trying to help is bad." The girl continued, very confidently.

"My mom always lies..." The sad girl murmured.

"Did your mommy do that?" The girl asked, beginning to see the bigger picture. The sniffling girl widened her eyes, shocked, and slowly nodded.

"You have a bad mommy." The girl stood up from the swings, dusting herself off. "My mommy says it's good to speak your mind, unless it's not approprivate timing."

"You mean appropriate?" The girl asked, with a genuine smile.

"No! I mean, yes." She crossed her arms. The girl with tear stained cheeks giggled. Her laughter was soft and sweet. The standing girl wanted to hear it again. She dropped her arms, and held out a hand.

"I'm Nyx! Who are you?" She asked. The girl hesitated, then took her hand, shaking it gingerly.

"Emi."

"Well, Emi," Nyx grinned widely, "You're my new best friend." Emi smiled, tearing up again. Nyx shook her hands like a madwoman. "Ahh! Why are you crying?! Don't cry!" Emi laughed, wiping her tears. "From now on, I'll make sure you never have to cry again." Nyx pulled up Emi, patting the top of her head. Emi scrunched her face, then wrapped her arms around the taller girl engulfing her in a hug. Nyx pulled away.

"'Kay! Gotta go! See you later. Don't let your mommy be bad to you, or I'll come over an' kick 'er ass." Emi raised an eyebrow, tilting her head.

"What's an ass?" Nyx shrugged.

"I got no clue. Mommy said it once when she was really mad at Daddy." Emi sighed as the girl walked away.

"Wait!" Nyx turned around as Emi fiddled with her hands. "When will I see you again?" She asked.

"I'll meet you here, tomorrow. Got it?" Emi nodded her head.

"Promise?"

"Promise!"