Chapter Eight

Emi's POV:

Yukio and I were walking towards the Supply Shop. I was thinking about what Neuhaus said. Yukio looked down at me and sighed.

"You're thinking about him, aren't you?" He asked, snapping me away from my thoughts. I nodded my head.

"I don't want to turn my back on Neuhaus, but I'm afraid that it will come to that." Yukio pushed up his glasses.

"That's reasonable. He was your mentor, and the only father figures you had." I looked down at the stone walkway. Yukio stopped walking and put his hands on my shoulders.

"Hey, it won't come to that. I've got your back." I smiled, looking up at him. Yukio chuckled, patting my head.

I hate it when he does that.

We walked into the shop to see Shiemi.

"Hi, Shiemi." We said in unison.

"How are you?" I asked. Shiemi looked up, shocked that it was Yukio and me.

"Yuki! Emi!" She said taken aback.

"Sorry to come here so late. Is your mom here?" Yukio asked the blonde girl.

"She went to get more supplies, so I'm watching the store. C-Can I help you guys with anything?" Yukio and I looked at each other as I pulled out a piece of paper.

"Actually, we came to talk to you about your future plans. Are you free or should we come back." I asked while passing her the form she filled out. Shiemi brewed us some tea as we sat down. She passed us the cups as she spoke.

"Well I'm in a weird spot because I'm not going to Cram School to be an exorcist like everyone else, so I didn't know what meister to write down. I wish I wasn't so unsure about things." I looked at her with empathy. I was a lot like her when I was training as well. Yukio looked over to me and then at Shiemi.

"Shiemi, do you remember the day you met Emi and I when we came here with my father and Mr. Neuhaus?" I giggled looking back on that day. Yukio continued, "We had just become exorcists, and I remember it like it was yesterday. I was so nervous and I'm pretty sure Emi was too-"

"I was not!" I interjected. Yukio chuckled.

FLASHBACK TO TWO YEARS AGO

I was walking up the road with Mr. Neuhaus, trying to catch up to Yukio and Father Fujimoto. It was our first day as exorcists and our first time going to the Supply Shop. I was scratching at my leg, something I did when I was nervous.

"Don't be nervous. There's nothing to worry about." I looked up at Mr. Neuhaus.

"What if I say something wrong, or mess up my order?" I said panicking a bit.

"You need to trust yourself, Emi. If you can't, then pretend as you do. Don't show you're intimidated. Now stand up straight and walk with confidence." I smiled and ran ahead to Yukio.

"Emi! Neuhaus! There you guys are! Come on. Let's head inside." Father Fujimoto said. We walked into the supply shop to see a middle-aged lady sitting near the back.

"What's shaking, ma'am? This is my son, Yukio, and this Neuhaus' protege, Emi, and as of today, they're exorcists." Father Fujimoto put his hands on Yukio and my shoulders as he continued. "The thing is, the kids aren't even fourteen yet, so if we aren't around, keep an eye on them." Yukio and I both bowed quickly.

"Pleased to meet you, ma'am!" We said in unison. The middle-aged woman spoke.

"Well, well, well...What do we have here? My, you look like such a fine young man." She said, looking at Yukio and then at me. "And you are quite the pretty one aren't you? You seem to be hardworking too." I felt Neuhaus's hand rest on my shoulder.