Chapter Twenty-Eight

Yukio's POV:

The sky became a reddish color as the sun continued to fall below the horizon. The Koma sword stood in the center of the roof, collecting electricity as the exorcists chanted. Rin yelled out in pain, trying to undo his bindings, but failing. He coughed up a large amount of blood onto the floor.

"What?" I asked.

"After years of research, sacrificing him is the key. I found the perfect location, and it's right here on the roof of the school Mephisto built." The Pope raised his hands. "What better place to open the door between Gehenna and Assiah?!" I could see exorcists clacking away on computers. "The stage has been set, but the quality of the blood we've gathered is inferior. It's so impure the Gehenna Gate will take forever to complete! But, if we add Rin's blood." I gasped, then heard my brother let out another scream. "A mere five liters will increase the purity, and allow us to open a Gehenna Gate of colossal proportions!"

"That's insane!" I yelled. "Even if you drained every drop of blood from him it still wouldn't be enough!" I argued. He looked over his shoulder.

"That would be true, if he were human." I was taken aback. "Excessive loss of blood is inconsequential for someone with demonic healing powers." Rin released a blood curdling scream again. "History will remember Rin as a martyr for the Order. The hero who saved Assiah!" I reached for my gun, pulling it out of its holster.

"I'll only say this once, release my brother!" I commanded. He remained calm.

"Shooting me won't do any good. The bomber carrying the Messiah has already taken off from the Dragoon Laboratory. In fact, it should be arriving above True Cross Academy any minute now." I glared at him, trying to think of something. "The plane will answer to no one's order except mine. And if I don't open the Gehenna Gate, the Messiah will explode on the grounds of this school." I gaped.

"You're serious?!"

"What do you think, m'boy, there's no turning back now." He chortled loudly. My hand shook as I tried to keep my aim trained on his head. Rin started screaming like a maniac, while the Pope kept laughing. I sighed, lowering the gun.

"In that case, I'll take his place," I declared. The laughing ceased.

"What?"

"You can use me to open the Gehenna Gate, but you have to let my brother go." He glanced at me through the corner of his eye.

"As you wish," He replied.

Rin laid on the ground, unconscious. I placed his sword next to him, standing up.

"Rin," I murmured.

I slit my wrist, creating a large cut, and watched blood spill out instantly. I started to breathe heavily, watching one lense of my glasses crack. "AUGH!" I screamed, blue flames enveloping my body. Exorcists chanting began to scream, burning with blue fire. Those who hadn't, sprayed them with fire extinguishers. I heard faint laughing.

"I knew it! By mixing the blood of these demonic twins I can draw out several times as much power!"

Emi's POV:

We ran up to the roof, looking around. All of us gasped at the sight ahead.

"What happened?" Shiemi asked. Bodies littered the floor, some of them charred while others were just burned badly.

"Oh my god. What the hell's going on around here?" I looked up to see Rin lying on the floor, and Yukio... covered in blue flames.

No...