Chapter Fifteen

Yukio's POV:

I stood in the doorway of Emi's Magic Circle and Seals class. A few weeks have gone by, and Emi has been cleared to return to her job again. She still wasn't able to talk though. The doctor didn't give us a specific time for when we can expect her voice to return. I admired how the other students stepped in to help her when she couldn't say anything. Izumo and Shiemi were helping her summon a hobgoblin to demonstrate how to tame lower-level demons. Emi explained that as ExWires, summoning a demon like that should be easy. Once the hobgoblin was summoned, Emi wrote in her now, very full, notebook.

"That was great! Now the important thing about taming a low-level demon is to recognize it's age and personality." The students looked down at the tiny demon. "Does anyone notice any distinct features?" A few students raised their hands.

"He's smaller than the average hobgoblin, maybe he's a baby?" Suguro suggested. Emi nodded her head, signaling he was right.

"He looks happy like he's playful or something," Rin added.

"Good! Now we can see that this demon is young and playful. What method should we use in taming him?" Izumo then spoke.

"We have to take a motherly approach, obviously." Emi smiled, nodding her head. Shiemi then knelt down to the demon's level.

"Hi there. My name is Shiemi..." Shiemi then cooed the demon into obedience. Me, along with the other students clapped as Emi erased the circle, causing the hobgoblin to disappear.

"Alright, class dismissed. Remember to hand in your drawings of Magic Circles for next week's presentations." I walked over to Emi holding her hand in mine. The other students left while Rin and Nyx stayed behind.

"Uh oh. Nyx. Emi and Yukio are doing the pre-marital hand holding." Rin said in a grave tone. Nyx gasped in false surprise as Emi sent them both a glare.

"Scandalous, you two! How can you even look into each other's eyes?! You aren't engaged!" She continued, squeezing all the entertainment she could get from it. "You dare touch her fingers?! How vile! Filthy!"

"You done?" I snapped. She held her hands up in surrender.

"Seriously, how is it that you guys haven't even kissed yet?" Nyx teased.

"We told you already. We're taking it slow." Our bickering was interrupted by a cough. I looked down to see Emi holding her throat as more coughs surfaced from her mouth.

"Emi!" We all ran to her side as the coughs became worse. Emi leaned down as blood and pieces of scar tissue spilled out of her mouth. She then stopped coughing as we looked in concern.

"Emi, are you okay?" Nyx asked, worried. Emi cleared her throat.

"That fucking hurt." We all looked, startled. Nyx cupped then uncupped her ears, seeing if she had heard right.

"Emi did you ju-" Rin was cut off by Emi speaking again.

"Holy shit. I just talked." Emi spoke in a very dry and croaky voice. We looked at her in shock. Emi returned the same look.

"The fuck?"

Emi's POV:

Yukio and I were walking back to my dorm. I looked down at our connected hands, smiling.

"What is it?" Yukio asked in curiosity.

"I'm just happy. We can do this now." I said as I held up our hands. Yukio returned the smile.