Chapter One

Chapter One:

Rin's POV:

This was it. I stared at the colorful door, hesitating.

"Alright Rin, time to become an exorcist!" I opened the door enthusiastically but was met with silence.

What a dump.

The other people in the classroom were all staring at me. I stood up straight.

"I'm Rin Okumura. Nice to meet you."

I sat down at an empty table, scanning the classroom. It was old and a little rundown. There were only eight other people. I slid my sword off my shoulder, resting it next to me as I gripped it tightly.

To protect Yukio, to defeat Satan.

"What's up with these guys?" I said quietly to Mephisto, who had transformed into a dog.

"They're exorcists-in-training, here to learn the ropes, just like you. Some of them haven't received their Temptaints yet. While others have already been afflicted." The dog explained.

"What's a Temptaint?" I asked.

"It's a wound or a disease inflicted by demons. Since being infected with a Temptaint enables one to see demons, it's sort of like a rite of passage that every exorcist must undergo. Well, in your case, there's no need for it, is there? I mean, you are a demon, after all." I heard the door open. "Ah! Your new instructors have arrived."

I looked up and heard the footsteps approach. I gaped at the instructors who stood in front of us.

"We're your instructors. My name is Yukio Okumura."

"Y-Yukio?" I murmured. No way. Next to him was a young girl, most likely fifteen, maybe older. She had brown hair, tan skin, and was wearing the same attire as Yukio, though she was smaller and much shorter than him. She looked excited, like a child preparing to receive their ice cream.

"This is my colleague, Emi Takayama." Takayama waved to the class, glancing at me. I felt a little uncomfortable but ignored it. "We began training to become exorcists when we were seven and became fully-fledged exorcists about two years ago. We're the same age as most of you, so I know it's a little..." He paused, his eyes landing behind me, I turned and noticed a girl. She wasn't Japanese. She had brown skin and a small figure. She was wearing a loose sweater, her eyes showing boredom, as she gazed right back at Yukio. "...Weird. I am an Intermediate Rank First Class Exorcist and your new Anti-Demon Pharmacology instructor."

"I'm Emi Takayama. I am your Grimoire Studies instructor and co-instructor in your Magic Circles and Seals class where I will also teach you on the subject of familiars. I am also an Intermediate Rank First Class Exorcist, and I look forward to teaching you all."

"Nice to meet you!" The class responded.

"Yukio-" I stopped.

If he was an exorcist, could he have known about me? If he did, why hadn't he told me?

"What the hell, Yukio!" I said, standing from my seat.

"I'm sorry is there a problem?" My brother asked calmly.

"What do you mean 'is there a problem'? Yeah, there's a problem! What's your problem?" The female instructor gave me a strange look, before chiming in.

"Although we're the same ages as most of you, we'd appreciate it if you called us 'instructor' or with formalities when class is in session." Ms. Takayama said with a smile. I sat back down, unable to believe Yukio had been training for so long.