C8: Epic Encounter

Day 2. Second chance.

Stell flipped the pages of his book as he saw Sejun approaching his direction. He sat on the bench naturally, just like how he usually does.

"Approaching in 10 seconds." It was Josh's voice through the earpiece again. Stell did the countdown in his mind.

It was perfect timing. Just when Sejun's about to pass by, Stell stood up and bumped on Sejun. This time there's no need to see the next 2 minutes. All he needs is for Sejun to recognize him--to sense their connection.

"I'm sorry." Sejun picked up Stell's book and handed it to him. "I didn't mean to bother you."

There was a bandage on Sejun's forehead. Somehow, Stell felt relieved that he's alright. "No, it's totally fine. It's my fault anyway--"

"Wait a second." Sejun's left eyebrow raised. "Aren't you the person from the accident yesterday? I'm glad you're fine. I was expecting to see you in the hospital, you could have gotten checked at least."

"I already got checked." Stell lied. "I went to my doctor right after. Looks like I have to go--"

"No, wait a second." Sejun grabbed his right arm.

Perfect. This is what Josh and Ken were talking about. The accident was an opportunity, a chance to build a connection between the two of them.

Sejun bit his lower lip as if hesitating to say something, "Uhmm. Are you really in a rush? Maybe we can talk over a cup of coffee."

In the hideout, Josh was carefully checking all monitors from time to time. He's listening to Stell and Sejun's conversation, and the plan is going perfectly well.

Stell took a deep breath, still giving his best actor skills. "Honestly, I'm just a little embarrassed because you saved my life and I think it's not right to just--"

"No, please don't worry about that." The sunlight glistened on Sejun's puppy eyes. "Both of us are safe, and I'm just asking a little time from you so we can get to know each other."

Stell didn't say anything in response. Instead, he just looked at him as if he doesn't really want him to be his friend.

Sejun cleared his throat, "I know this is weird and I'm such an awkward person. Truth is, I never had a friend since I was young. Well, I have made acquaintances, but that's different from an actual friend."

Looking through Stell's eyes, Sejun couldn't understand why he's suddenly standing in front of the life he saved, and asking to be his friend. He never knew he would do such a thing again, but he sensed something. He felt like he shouldn't let go of this man.

He tried to convince him again, "Fine, if you feel bad because I had to go to the hospital because I saved you, then pay me back by spending a little time with me."

"Alright." Stell seized the book on his hand. "Maybe what happened yesterday was our epic encounter. We can be good friends if we give it a shot."

"Nice, let's go." A bright smile appeared on Sejun's lips. Finally, after so many years, he was able to find someone who felt deserving of his friendship.

Both of them ordered a large cup of iced bean latte and a slice of sponge cake each. It wasn't just Sejun but also Stell--who felt the connection between the two of them. Even without the plan, their friendship might click.

But it cannot happen.

Sejun was still nervous to be around him, "Don't w-worry about what happened yesterday. Also, I didn't tell anyone that I saved your life."