C15: Promises

Twelve noon. Stell was sitting on the front seat of Sejun's car, waiting for him to come back from buying something in the bookstore. He glanced at his phone as it beeped and Ken's message popped up.

From: Ken

Stell, I know you and Josh were just pretending to be okay, but I'm glad you have decided to work together again. I knew the both of you will be alright.

Anyway, Josh didn't have to explain everything to me. He forgot to turn off my communication with him, so I heard everything. Have fun working with Justin De Dios.

Just as when he finished reading his friend's text, Sejun came carrying two boxes of books.

"What's that for?" Stell asked as Sejun placed the books in the backseat.

Sejun smiled sweetly, "It's for the kids we are about to meet later. It's just going to be quick, I will just say hi to them."

Stell nodded, "Of course. I would love to."

Josh's voice came through the earpiece again, "I have access through your dashcam. You have to focus, okay?"

Justin helped in checking the monitors if there is any trouble ahead, while Josh focused on the dashcam and Stell's conversation with Sejun. Both of them were munching fries and drinking soda while doing their job.

The car zoomed away from the bookstore and the joyride began. Sejun turned on the music while he drives and kept on singing and dancing.

The weather was all nice and perfect. Stell leaned on the car window and watched every street they passed by.

"Are you okay?" Sejun asked. "I understand. I also want Shirley to join us, but just like what she said, today's her thesis defense. We can spend some time together again when the three of us are free."

"No, it's not about that. I'm alright, just enjoying the view." Stell sat up straight.

Only if you still can, Sejun. He thought. The main event will happen in three days. Josh, Ken, together with their new member Justin has it all figured out. His job was almost done. Gaining Sejun's trust--accomplished.

When they were kilometers away from the city, Sejun began to hum along with another song on the radio.

"If you ever find yourself stuck in the middle of the sea,
I'll sail the world to find you
If you ever find yourself lost in the dark and you can't see,
I'll be the light to guide you"

Count on Me by Bruno Mars. The beat and harmony of the song seemed to match the perfect sunny afternoon. The sky is all blue with touches of white and fluffy clouds.

Stell couldn't help but smile while looking at Sejun dancing and singing along the song with his bubbly smile. His braces seem to match his personality a lot--a smart and cheerful one.

"Find out what we're made of
When we are called to help our friends in need"

Sejun's smile became wider as he heard Stell humming to the music. They rolled down the windows in excitement. When the chorus part came, they both screamed their lungs out and sang as loud as they can.

"You can count on me like one two three
I'll be there
And I know when I need it I can count on you like four three two
You'll be there
'Cause that's what friends are supposed to do, oh yeah"

Maybe the best thing about music is not the tune, the lyrics, or anything else. It was the connection between the song and the people singing it. Fascinating.