Two

Emma

I was pissed at Ethan when I woke up. In fact, I only got about two hours of sleep that night.

It was only 6 am when I woke up, and the sun was barely risen yet.

I decided to go for a run.

I knew my way around the neighborhood because I would come to Florida with Olivia and her family once every summer since we were in 7th grade.

So, I got my shorts and tank top on with some tennis shoes, and threw my hair up in a ponytail before I went downstairs.

Olivia was the only other person awake, so she decided to come with me.

Ethan was still asleep.

All this worrying is making me sick to my stomach, but it's just from stress. I swear.

Anyway, Olivia and I left a few minutes later, and as we jogged, I told her about everything going on with Ethan and I and how worried I was about the relationship.

And then I stopped to throw up in a bush.

"Emma, are you okay?" Olivia asked.

"I'm fine. I just get sick when I'm too stressed."

"Right. Well we should probably walk back then." She said. I nodded, and we started walking back to the house.

Ethan and Grayson were making breakfast for everybody when we got back, and damn I must've caught a stomach bug because the smell of sausage and eggs sent me straight to the toilet to throw up.

Between everything going on, and now I'm getting sick?

This summer is already fucked.

I washed my face and brushed my teeth before going in my room to change, and the door softly opened and closed.

"Are you mad at me?"

Ethan.

I took a deep breath and turned around.

"Ethan, I was up all night because I couldn't sleep. And now I'm getting sick with the stomach flu or something. And I'm worried about us, and I feel like nothing's going right right now." I said, sitting down on the bed.

He walked towards me and put his hand on my shoulders.

"Emma, look at me." He whispered. I looked up from the floor at his beautiful hazel eyes.

"We're okay. I promise."

I let out a deep breath I must have been holding, and I covered my face with my hands.

"Ethan, you can't keep saying that and then acting like we're not fine."

"Emma, I asked you what was wrong and you didn't tell me. If you're gonna be upset about something at least try to communicate correctly about it."

I wiped a tear from my eye before it could escape down my face.

"Please just go finish making breakfast. I can't deal with this right now."

Ethan's eyes laced with concern before he moved away and walked out the door, shutting it behind him.

-
Ethan's POV

I don't know if it's just me, but something's going on with Emma, and I think it's more than just our problems.

So, I pulled Joey aside and asked if he knew anything.

"Hey, Joey. Emma's upset, and she won't tell me why. Do you know what's going on?" I asked.

We were on the back deck of the beach house, so we sat down on the chairs.

"Ethan, the anniversary of our mom and dad's death is next week, and I think that Emma feels really guilty about not being able to go visit their gravesite this year. She's never missed it before, and I think it's taking a little bit of a toll on her."

"I feel so bad. And I kind of fucked up last night because I fell asleep downstairs, and now she's worried about us, and she's mad at me."

"Ethan, she'll come around. This is just a tough time of year for her."

"Thanks for telling me."

"Hey, that's what I'm here for. I hate seeing her upset more than anything. If there's a way I can help my little sister, so be it."

"You're a good brother to her, Joey."

He nodded. "Thanks. I just hope that the world will give her everything she deserves in life. I get worried about her sometimes."

I nodded. "I do too. She's a very lighthearted person. I just hope we can help her see that things are gonna be okay."

"What I've learned growing up with Emma is that sometimes she just needs some time. She'll be okay eventually."

"Thanks, Joey." I responded.

I went back inside and help Grayson finish making breakfast for everyone.

After we were done eating, I decided to bring Emma some crackers and water to help soothe her stomach.

I opened the door, and she was sound asleep, so I set the glass of water and the box of crackers on the nightstand and sat down next to her.

I guess it woke her up, because she turned to face me.

"Hey, I brought you some crackers and some water."

She gave me a soft smile. "Thanks. I'm sorry I got mad at you earlier. I'm just having a rough time right now."

I put my hand on her cheek and leaned down to press a soft kiss to her lips.

"It's okay. I understand. I just want you to know that it's okay to talk to me about it. Holding things in makes it worse, Emma. And I know what you're going through. Joey told me about this time of year."

She nodded, closing her eyes like she was trying not to cry.

"Emma, it's okay to be sad." I whispered.

She sat up, and wrapped her arms around me, crying into my shoulder.

"I'll always be here for you if you need to cry on my shoulder." I added as I soothed my hand up and down her back.

"I just miss them so much." She whispered, her voice raspy from crying.

"I know you do, Emma. They're always with you in your heart, you know that?"

She nodded against my shoulder.

"Why don't you eat some of those crackers and drink some water, and try to get some rest?"

She nodded before grabbing the box and opening it.

"I'll be back to check on you in a little while, okay?"

"Okay." She said. I gave her a soft smile before I left the room.

Maybe we'll be okay.