Twenty

Emma

I was pleasantly surprised that the baby only woke us up twice during the night. When he was hungry, and when he needed his diaper changed.

Obviously I fed him, but Ethan was the best fiancé ever and let me sleep while he changed Jack's diaper.

Ethan is seriously the best.

He had to go to work early, but I was already awake with the baby. I fed Jack, and then he fell asleep in my arms while I quietly watched the morning news. It's not like there was anything remotely interesting on tv at 7 a.m. anyway.

Lisa was staying in our guest room, and she offered to stick around for a few weeks to help us with laundry, cooking and dishes while Ethan and I adjusted to being new parents.

I was so grateful.

She even made me eggs and bacon for breakfast this morning. How amazing.

I set Jack down in his little rocker seat so that he could still lay down, and Lisa gave me the plate of food.

"Thank you so much." I said, putting the plate down on the folding table. It was a little table/stand that was the perfect height to eat a meal while sitting on the couch.

"That's what I'm here for." She said. "I really am proud of you and Ethan. You're both doing such a good job."

"And Ethan's working so hard." I added. "He amazes me so much."

"He's always been a super hard worker."

"Even last night, about an hour after I fed the baby, Ethan let me sleep, and he changed Jack's diaper for me. He did that in the hospital too. He's making sure that he's putting in a great effort because he knows I'm tired. I know he's tired too, but it's really sweet how he's stepping up and doing things like that for me."

"Ethan's dad was the same way. He always let me sleep while he took care of changing the diapers at night. The funny thing is that I've never told Ethan or Grayson that their dad used to do that for me, and here Ethan is doing the same thing for you."

"Sean taught him well."

"I think there's a lot that Sean told the boys that I never knew about. They were so close to each other."

"I know that Ethan's gonna be the same way with Mr. Sleepy over there. Ethan already holds him as much as he possibly can. I mean, if Ethan's awake, and he's at home, you can probably find him holding the baby." I said, glancing at Jack, who was soundly sleeping in his rocker seat. "They're already best friends. It's only been two days, and I've already had to tell Ethan twice that I wanted to hold the baby for once. It's adorable. And when I'm holding or feeding him, Ethan's usually sitting right next to me with his arm around my waist or my shoulder. He loves our child so much. It's made me fall even more in love with the man I'm marrying. And seeing our little one makes me so happy because he's gonna grow up to be such an amazing man. I know Ethan's gonna teach him how to be a gentleman. I'm gonna teach him as much as I can too. I just think it's crazy how much your life can change in only a year and a half." I said, finishing up my food.

I took the plate to the sink and came back to put my little table away, then I picked up the baby and got comfy on the couch.

"I'm glad that Ethan treats you so well. I can assure you that Ethan has never been this in love before."

I smiled, looking down at the newborn child in my arms. "He loves our little family. And I do too. It's like I'm holding a baby Ethan in my arms."

Lisa let out a chuckle. "He does look a lot like Ethan, doesn't he?"

"Ethan said that certain facial expressions he makes look like me, but all I see is Ethan. I just love them both so much. They're my boys."

"Awe. That's so sweet, Emma. I'm so happy for you guys. The three of you really are a beautiful little family."

I smiled. "Thank you, Lisa."

-

Lisa and I spent most of the day just hanging out. Me feeding and changing the baby. Holding him.

He's so little that all he does is eat, sleep and poop. You know. But he's adorable anyway.

Ethan got home and found us in the living room, giving me a quick peck on the lips and one on Jack's forehead before Ethan waved to his mother and went to shower the auto shop smell and stickiness off of him.

Half an hour later, he ordered dinner for delivery, and sat down next to me on the couch. He had one arm around me, and his other hand was gently clinging to my arm that held the baby.

Ethan rested his chin on my shoulder as we sat there watching The Bachelor. It was a Monday night classic, and Ethan claimed that he didn't like the show, even though he would sit down and watch the whole thing with me every single week.

And he always got invested. I thought it was cute, but Ethan never actually admitted to enjoying the show.

I fed Jack again, then changed him a little while later. We ate a quick dinner with Lisa.

I dozed off on the couch when Ethan was holding the baby, and the next thing I new, Ethan was carrying me upstairs to our bedroom. He had already put the baby in his crib.

I went to the bathroom and realized that I was still wearing the same pajamas I went to bed in last night. Sweatpants and one of E's t-shirts. I didn't care. I'm a new mom.

But Ethan did watch the baby while I took a quick shower. Dried my hair. Got into a new pair of sweats and a t-shirt of Ethan's. Brushed my teeth.

Climbed into bed.

Woke up a half an hour later to feed the baby.

Yet again, Ethan let me sleep while he changed Jack's diaper.

I'm convinced that Ethan's the best father on the planet. He's the best fiancé too.