Chapter 6

Light was sat on Near's bedroom floor with the notes of Near's recent case spread out around him. It wasn't hard to work out what had happened, it was simple really - husband kills his wife and brother and makes it seem like the brother was having an affair with his wife and when she refused to leave her husband for the brother, she was killed in a jealous rage and brother committed suicide. The police believed it was an open and shut case however, Near who had been following recent police cases in their area to gain experience had noticed something the police have completely overlooked. The police were stupid like that.

"I'm right, aren't I. From the small spots of ink on the brother's right-hand shows that he was right-handed, and the killer was left. Mr Watson would not have shot himself with his left hand if he were right-handed, there are no signs of him being ambidextrous so we can rule that out. Mr Lewis is left-handed therefore the killer" Near explained looking over at his mother for some clarification, he was certain that he was right.

"Yes, you are. So right now, all you need to do is send your finding to the police and they will finish this off. Well done Near, I'm impressed with your abilities" Light praised after closing the case file which Near had comprised with his notes on the case and handed it back to Near.

"Thanks Mum" Near said taking the folder off his mother and placed it with his other case files. Light opened his mouth as if to say something else when Near's bedroom door was slammed open by Mello who stumbled in with what looked like Matt's modified laptop in his hand.

"You guys need to see this" Mello shouted dropping down beside Light and placed the laptop in front of them. On the screen were a familiar white background and gothic font however instead of the word saying L it said Merikh.

"I am Merikh. If this video is being aired on April 18th, at exactly 5:59 p.m. as I requested, then the time now is 5:59. 47. 48. 49. Please change the channel to Taiyo TV. The news anchor Mr Kazuhiko Hibima will die of a heart attack at exactly 6 o'clock" the disfigured voice of Merikh spoke; something was wrong with this picture. Mello opened a new tab on Matt's laptop and pulled up a live feed of Taiyo TV – the news anchor was slumped dead. Light shared a concerned look with Near as Mello switched back to the Sakura TV tab. Merikh spoke again.

"This is punishment. I will present you with another victim. My next target is NHN TV commentator Mr Seiji Komaizumi, who's scheduled to appear in a live broadcast. He too has dared to defy Merikh". Mello once more opened a new tab and loaded a live feed of NHN TV once again Merikh's victim was dead. This was wrong, this was not like the first Merikh that Light had seen. His technique and victims were all wrong, unless. This wasn't Merikh and instead, it could be an imposter or second Merikh. Light shuddered at the thought, the idea that someone else was able to get their hands on Merikh's power was frightening. If one person was able to then what did that mean for the rest of the world, what if a criminal got a hold of Merikh's power and started using it for their own personal use. L needed to find this Merikh before word gets out that more than one person could possess Merikh power. Light hadn't noticed Mello turn the tab back to Sakura TV until he heard that disfigure once more.

"Now that you've seen proof of my powers, you should have no trouble believing that I am Merikh. People of the world, I intend to create a new world. A perfect world, that is free from evil. If you agree with my mission, I know we can make it happen. And as long as no one tries to catch me. I promise that the innocent will not die. Even if you don't agree with me, all I ask is that you not publicise your views in the media. If you can do that, you will be spared. All you have to do now is be patient. I'll create a better world that we can all enjoy, say good-bye to the world as you know it. Soon we'll have a new world brought by benevolence and inhabited by kind-hearted, honest people" Merikh said and Light wasn't sure whether he wanted to listen to this anymore. He jumped up from the floor startling Near and Mello in the process and darted out of the room. He heard Mello and Near shout after him, but he didn't stop moving until he reached his own bedroom, on his bed his laptop had been left open. A message caught his attention.

Panda: (6: 15pm)

I need you to come to Japan to assist with the case. I believe we have two people with Merikh's power, and I don't think I can solve this case alone. I need you

Kira Lawliet: (10:16 am)

On my way