Epilogue

~1 year later~

Light walked up to the monument, a large marble block with thousands of tiny names engraved on it.

"I assumed you'd be here," he said as he stood beside the black-haired woman. Naomi turned to look at him, her lips turned upwards in a small smile before she turned to look back at the monument.

"A year since Merikh's demise and this is all we have to show for what happened. A long list of names of those innocent people who died because of them," Naomi said. Light looked at the monument, his eyes taking in the extent the world suffered because of Teru and Higuchi.

We remember those who lost their lives to evil

Naoki Koro Kitayama, Lind L. Tailor, Tayoshi Murao, Kazuhiko Hibima, Seiji Kumaizumi, Hirokazu Ukita, Arayoshi Hatori, Ginzo Kaneboshi, Ito Shiroba, Jason Grace, Thalia Grace, Tyler Williams, Shintaromaru Maruyamada, Takeshi Ooi, Masahiko Kida, Shingo Mido, Suguru Shimura, Andrew Miller, Steve Mason, Ellickson Gardner, Shawn Dunleavy, Rod Ross, Jack Neylon, Sarah Smith, Margret Cole, Pedoro Kollet, Hitoshi Demegawa, Tokie Mikami, Toors Denote, Haley Belle, Lian Zapack, Arire Weekwood, Ale Funderrem, David Lincher, Knick Staek, Bess Skelletd, Frigde Copen, Girela Sevenster, Nikola Nasberg, Raye Penber

More names followed them, both sides covered with a list of the dead, those innocent people, Merikh tried as guilty and killed and right at the bottom engraved for all to see was the accurate number of criminals Merikh killed during his reign of terror.

And all the 269,916 criminals who were judged unfairly and killed by Merikh

"When we were working the case and daily, we were getting reports of criminals dying. It didn't seem that much, but looking at the total from around the world, it's insane how powerful something like that notebook is. To end all those lives," Naomi said, and Light nodded his head in agreement.

"We owe it to them to make sure the death note doesn't fall into anyone's hands again. I don't think the world could cope with another Merikh," Light said, "I've heard you've returned to the FBI."

"With Raye gone I... I only left the FBI to have a family, it wasn't fair on our children to have both their parents be rushing off on missions, but with Raye gone. I need something to keep me occupied and I know the working of the FBI, it was easy to get my old job back," Naomi said.

"I never said, but I'm sorry for your loss. I never knew Raye but I'm sure he was a great man," Light said, and Naomi gave him a weak smile, "And I hope it goes without saying, if you need any help, no matter how small you can call us. You're our friend Naomi."

"Thank you," she whispered; her fingers brushed against her dead fiancé's name, "Anyway, what are you doing here. From what I heard, they were putting one of these monuments up in every capital. Isn't there one in London, you didn't need to fly all the way to Tokyo to see this one?"

"I could say the same thing about you," Light laughed, "Matsuda's moving to England, they have roped me into helping pack his stuff."

"Matsuda and Beyond are still together?" Naomi asked though she wasn't surprised, she'd seen first-hand them dancing around their feelings for each other.

"They're getting married next month. You are of course invited," Light said, pulling the invitation Beyond had given him when he mentioned he was coming to see the monument from out of his pocket and handing it over to her.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," Naomi grinned, "I've always wondered what Beyond looks like domesticated."

Light laughed, "Oh don't worry Naomi, it's a sight to see."