Chapter 30

~12 hours previous~

Beyond observed with delight as Watari dragged Mr Yagami out of the building. The staggering relief that Beyond felt over never having to look at this man again. That Light will never see this man again, the father who mistreated him, the father who neglected and controlled him to advance his own image and reputation. Souichiro Yagami is a vile man who deserves everything coming to him when L sends footage to Yagami's boss (edited to preserve their identities).

"Now with him out of the way, let's save Kira," L said and for the first time in days, a smile appeared on his brother's face.

"So, what's the plan, Lawlipop? Are we gonna enter the cabin guns blazing and end Merikh once and for all or take our time with their deaths, make them suffer for everything they've done to my bestie?" Beyond asked, grinning, the thought of crushing their skulls and snapping their bones by extending their own suffering until they are begging for mercy. Hurting them enough to maximise their pain whilst being careful, Beyond won't let them die until he's decided when it's time and even then, Beyond will fill their death with more pain than Teru and Higuchi could imagine.

"I'm not planning anything. Matt, Mello and Near you found Kira. How do you want to rescue him?" L asked, turning to his three successors. Mello shared a chilling grin with Near and Matt.

"How about you give B and me some alone time with Merikh? We can't kill them, but that doesn't mean we can't repay them for the damages done to our mother and your brother-in-law. What do you think, B?" Mello said, looking over at Beyond.

"I like the way you think, blondie," Beyond grinned.

"Five minutes. I'm sure Merikh will resist arrest. The rest of us will surround the cabin. We're not risking them escaping. Aizawa, contact the NPA. We need a functioning S.W.A.T team ready in the next twenty minutes. Give them the cabin location, tell them not to engage unless Merikh flees, or they're given the signal. Make sure they have full helmet visors. We not risking their faces in case one of Merikh have the Shinigami eyes. Matt, stick on surveillance. I want you in contact with the S.W.A.T team. If you see any movement, then you give the order to breach. Is that clear?" L said. Everyone nodded. Aizawa and Mogi looked a little unsure. They didn't approve of the permission Mello and Beyond was given to attack Merikh, but neither of them was going to protest. This might be their only chance to capture Merikh before they go into hiding. Their hesitance could kill the world's second greatest detective, and they would not have that on their conscience.

"Consider it done," Aizawa said.

"Good, the rest of you. Be ready to leave in ten minutes" L dismissed them, darting up the stairs with Watari close behind him. The others split, leaving Matsuda and Beyond alone.

"Be careful. We don't know what Merikh is capable of face to face. I know you've been through a lot and what you did in LA gives you an advantage over Merikh as their kills were at a distance. Merikh will expect us, I just want you to be careful," Matsuda said, looking worried. "Promise me you'll be safe."

Beyond smiled softly, slowly approaching the detective before placing his hand on Touta's waist. "You don't need to worry about me. I'll come back to you. I promise." And with that Beyond wrapped his arms around Touta, pressing their lips together in a gentle kiss.

Beyond drew away, resting his forehead against Matsuda's, "The things you do to me, Touta Matsuda. I hope you know, I'll always come back to you. You're stuck with me now."

"Good," Matsuda said, his hands cupping Beyond's nape, pulling them closer and capturing his lips in a more passionate and desperate kiss.