Chapter 9

MERIKH

Merikh, thank you for your reply. Please don't worry. I'll follow orders and do as you say.

I really want to meet you. I don't think you have the eyes, but you don't have to worry. I will never try to kill you. That's a promise.

Please tell me how I can meet you without the police knowing. You'll think of something. And when we meet, we can confirm our identities by showing our Shinigami to each other.

I hope to hear from you soon

Light just sat there frozen what the hell did the second Merikh mean about 'having the eyes' and 'Shinigami'. Did the second Merikh have the same ability as Beyond, it would make sense since it was known that the original Merikh needed a name and face to kill whilst the second Merikh only required a face, it could mean that the way they get the names was just by looking at their faces just like Beyond. This meant that Light and Beyond could finally discover the reason why B had been cursed with these eyes. If the second Merikh did have the same ability as B then they would have to take precaution to ensure their protection but how, how could he bring this up without revealing Beyond's ability which was the last thing Light wanted to do because he made a promise to his best friend that he would never tell L about his eyes unless Beyond gave him his permission. Which Beyond hadn't. When the task force goes home he'll message B and tell him what he found out.

"So, will you respond and force him to be more specific? We have to be careful how we handle this. We can't make it too obvious that we're asking, otherwise he'll realise we're not Merikh" Light heard his father ask and once again he had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. He had stayed quiet throughout the whole commotion too lost in his thought to pay attention to the task forces reactions and L's outburst.

"No. From now on, it's best that we leave it up to the two Merikh" L replied making all the task force members expect Light look at him.

"Huh, what do you mean?" Aizawa asked confused.

"I imagine that the second Merikh is probably quite satisfied with the current situation, now that he's received a televised response. He sent a message to get Merikh's attention, and as far as he knows he now has it. Also, there's that word he used one that only the two of them would understand. We'll arrange to have this reply broadcast today on Sakura 6 o'clock news. Naturally this will be of interest to Merikh. And he'll be following this exchange between the copycat and the one we have invented. Now if I was Merikh, my priority would be to prevent this impostor from coming into contact with the police. This is good for us because it means that the real Merikh may feel pressured to respond this time" L explained.

"But what if he doesn't respond. Then what? We need to be forceful and get as much information from this impostor as possible to help us catch the original Merikh" Soichiro argued. Light sighed.

"If the second Merikh doesn't get the response he was looking for then he might be forced to reveal more information. He probably believe that he needs to prove himself as the second Merikh more to get the original Merikh's attention or he will reveal more information to pressure Merikh into a meeting because he would know that Merikh would want to keep information on how he kills a secret from the police. If the original Merikh lashes out now then it would give us the evidence we need to convict him or to find him, so we just need to wait and time will tell whether all our efforts have paid off" Light spoke up, he knew what L was doing and it was best not to intervene with what has been set out. They needed to wait for either the original or second Merikh to make their moves.