Chapter 20

It was easy to create a fake case, sending it through the NPA via Soichiro Yagami which a rush order to get it to trial because the horrific crimes their 'criminal' had committed. They also expressed it to keep this case on the down-low, as they were trying to keep the criminal's name and face out of the media. Beyond or rather Ryuzaki Rue was arrested and brought into the police station to be 'interrogated' for at least an hour where he confessed his love for murder and that he enjoyed killing his victims. They had taken inspiration from Beyond's actual crime, the murders in Los Angeles the previous year. Everything about the original case was used expect this time Beyond 'killed' those who didn't have any families so it wouldn't draw any unwanted suspicion when no one came to represent the victims at court but other than that everything else had been kept the same. The killer sent a coded message to the police relating to their planned murder, to the gory details of what Beyond actually did to his victims and that they were all founded in a locked room with a different number of Wara Ningyo dolls left at the crime scene.

With the fake case sorted and Beyond incarceration pending trial all they needed was a lawyer or well an undercover one and they only had one option – Naomi. They couldn't send L for obvious reasons; Light had been accidentally caught on camera, so if he suddenly turned up in court and Merikh had seen that footage, he might get suspicious. The older members of the task force were an obvious no because they had appeared in court many other times to testify so Teru may have seen them before or they could get recognised by others which left Matsuda (who was new to the NPA and hadn't been to court yet) or Naomi. Matsuda admitted that he really knew little about the Lawyer side of the court and didn't feel comfortable enough to do it without messing up. L and Light couldn't help but agree, which left Naomi. Who didn't really have much of the choice but to agree to do it, it was doubtful that Merikh would recognise her being Raye Penber's fiancé and Naomi knew what she was looking for in the belongings of Teru.

They hoped that during the early hours before the trial, Naomi could sneak off to find this death note in Teru's belongings instead of letting Beyond come face to face with him. Pretend Merikh killed the suspect before trial and get both Naomi and Beyond out of there before anything happens. However, that just wasn't the case. When Naomi turned up at court and identified herself as Ryuzaki Rue's lawyer, they shoved her into a small conference room after being told that they will bring Ryuzaki up so she could talk with him before the trial began. This brought the problem that if Naomi were kept away, then she couldn't search for the death note. They were going to need someone else.

"Change of plans, Naomi's trapped with Beyond until the trial began, we're going to need to get someone else inside the court to find the death note during the trial," Light said. He had just received a text message from Naomi telling him about the sudden complications and how they needed a second person down there. Light already knew who they needed to send, there was only one person they could – Matsuda, "We're going to need to send someone else?".

"Could we really risk Ryuzaki?" Matsuda said, Ryuzaki is Beyond's twin brother, it would make sense for his brother to turn up during the trial demanding to see Beyond but Ryuzaki was also the world's famous detective and a much-needed asset to the Merikh case.

"I wasn't suggesting Ryuzaki, I was thinking about you Matsuda" Light said, and he felt the eyes of everyone on the task force turn to look at him. Matsuda was their only option.

"M-me!" Matsuda squeaked, pointing to himself, and Light nodded.

"I know it's a lot to ask but we need someone else to look for this death note whilst Teru is in court, but you can't just randomly turn up there expecting that you will be let in which means you're going undercover as Ryuzaki Rue's boyfriend," Light explained.

"Why boyfriend and not a brother or friend?" Aizawa asked.

"There aren't no similarities between Matsuda and B, and I know some siblings don't look the same, but for this case, we don't have the time to waste to create Matsuda another fake identity showing that he is Rue's brother. A boyfriend would be easier... Matsuda, I know this may be a little uncomfortable for you, but we need to stop Merikh and this could bring us the lead we need to bring Merikh's reign of terror to end," Light said. Matsuda's shoulders slumped forward, but he nodded.

"What do I need to do?" He asked.

"Watari can you bring a comm down so we can keep in touch with Matsuda at all times, it will need to be discreet so neither Merikh nor someone else will pick up on it and blow Matsuda's cover," L said turning to his computer whilst Light grabbed Matsuda's arms and pulled him upstairs.

"Where... where are we going?" Matsuda asked, a little scared.

"You're acting as my best friend's boyfriend, so to pull this off we're going to need to make you look the part. That suit screams detective, however, if we want to make this look believable then you need to wear something that would get a response from BB luckily, I know just the thing," Light said pulling the slightly older detective into Matsuda's own room to raid his wardrobe.

Matsuda left like a dress-up doll. After half an hour since Kira forcefully dragged him upstairs, he finally escaped his own bedroom and returned to the rest of the task force. Matsuda was stripped out of his suit and tie and was now in a tight blue button-up shirt and fitted black jeans which hugged the curvature of his ass more than he really liked but according to Kira, this outfit would get a reaction out of B that would convince anyone looking that them, that they are dating. Whether Matsuda was happy with that, well, the jury was still out on that.

"What's with that outfit?" Chief Yagami asked as the lift door opened as he stepped inside.

"Matsuda's going undercover," Aizawa replied, "We'll fill you in later Chief, you alright? You looked put off,".

"I'm fine, Aizawa, just a fight with the wife. She wishes I'd stayed at home considering it's the 10th anniversary of Light's disappearance but we're at the pivotal point in the case that I can't just take a day off, we're so close to catching Merikh but of course I can't disclose that to her," Chief Yagami explained missing the look Kira gave L when he wasn't looking.

"Is there anything I need to know?" Matsuda asked, looking over at Kira.

"Make a scene when you arrive, demand to see B during the trial find out where the prosecutors keep their belongings and see if you can find the death note, if he doesn't have it with him them that's fine, we'll leave the rest to Naomi and B," Kira said and Matsuda nodded, it shouldn't be that hard. He turned to leave only to stop when Kira spoke again, "Oh and Matsuda if B shoves his tongue down your throat, I'd make a strategic exit as that's normally his sign that he wants to have sex,".

"Why do you know that?" L asked, looking at Kira, and Kira smirked.

"I have unfortunately been subjected to all the gossip from B about his sex life,".

'What the hell have I gotten myself into?!' Matsuda thought as he made a quick exit, stepping into the lift and pressed the button for the car park.