Chapter 28

The flying camera was a shot in the dark. Something Matt had been messing about for the last few months, hoping when Mello becomes a detective, then Matt can assist with locating and tracking suspects. Beyond and Matsuda were struggling to track down either Higuchi and Teru. However, the Merikh duo kept themselves on the down low, avoiding their workplaces and the registered place of address. They didn't have the resources from the police; they couldn't risk revealing the names of Teru and Higuchi to the NPA for it to accidentally getting leaked to the press. The second Merikh discovered L knew who they were; then they would quickly kill Light then flee. It wasn't something they could risk; they couldn't risk Light.

The flying camera only by chance caught Teru sneaking out of his place of work and into a car. Obviously, they aren't risking using the vehicles registered in their own names. They somehow could hire a car using a fake name. Money is the biggest motivator, and Higuchi had plenty of it. He'd probably waved a sizeable chunk of money at a car hire service to convince the owner or employee to hire a car off the records. But now he's found one of them; he can track them. Carefully, Matt anchored the flying camera onto Teru's vehicle, tagging a ride to his destination. An old abandoned cabin in the middle of nowhere. Matt's heart jumped for joy at the thought that he'd found Light in hours of their arrival to Japan. Teru pushed the cabin door open, greeting Higuchi, who was already inside.

Matt's heart dropped into the depths of his stomach. They always suspected Merikh kidnapping Light. They would torture him to get L's name or location from him, yet seeing the result of Light's suffering is much worse. This was a man who'd been there for Matt when he needed him the most; they may joke how Light acted like Near's mother most of the time yet, Light didn't just take Near under his wing when the white-haired boy ended up at Wammy's. Light became Wammy's universal mum. He looked after the new arrivals, got them settled in, helping them come up with their alternative names, and advised them when they needed it the most. Light always knew what to say, what to do, how to stop a fight. No one wanted to disappoint him. They wanted to become the best of themselves, the person Light saw in them. Light always made time for them, even when he's working hard on all his unsolved cases. L travelled when needed when Light stayed behind. He didn't have the intermediary of Watari; he addressed the police detectives, working with them alongside running into Wammy's house. If you asked anyone who lived at Wammy's who really oversaw the orphanage, then they'd all point to Light. Roger may deal with the paperwork aspect, but Light poured his heart and soul into running the place, protecting, nurturing, and cherishing all the children who lived inside those walls. No one felt abandoned anymore. No one felt forgotten. Light made sure of that.

When Matt first acknowledged his feelings for Mello, Light was the first person he turned to, the first person he confided in.

"What's with that look on your face, Matty," Kira asked, pulling out the chair beside him. Recently Matt has taken to hiding in the countless empty classrooms at Wammy's; he couldn't be around Mello currently. Each time he looked at the blonde-haired boy, his heart felt like it wanted to climb out his chest and become a permanent resident in his throat. Matt's never had feelings for anyone before, and... he didn't know what to do. He didn't want to abandon Mello suddenly, but at the same time, he didn't know how to act around him anymore. Being by himself, away from the source of his problems, was the best option he had. Of course, Matt should've expected Kira to find him eventually, ever since Mello and Light bounded over something or other. Mello would always approach Kira for advice whenever he had a problem. Matt probably counted as a problem, having your best friend suddenly ghost you when (to them) nothing is wrong.

"It's nothing," Matt muttered, unsure whether he can really confide in Kira as Mello does. Will Kira treat him the same way if he knew the reason why Matt is suddenly avoiding Mello.