Chapter 4

L waited in silence for Watari to connect his laptop so he could confront the ICPO about the recent cases of heart attacked. There had been at least fifty-two deaths in the past weeks where criminals had died and those were just the confirmed cases, L was sure that there was at least over a hundred criminals dead, their bodies waiting to be found so it can be added to the recent death toll. Even though the media hadn't connected the deaths with the rise of Merikh which meant death or slaughter in Persian (L found it a fitting name for the serial killer) they would soon.

"Greetings to all of you at the ICPO. I am L" L said once he noticed that his laptop was live. His eyes scanned the crowd of members from different agencies. The people he would need to convince to support this investigation. L waited for a brief second before continuing "The difficulty of this case lies on its unprecedented scope. And make no mistake. We are witnessing an atrocious act of mass murder, one that is unforgivable. This case cannot be solved without the full cooperation of the ICPO. That is all of the police organisations you represent throughout the world you need to make the decision to fully support the investigation at this meeting. Also, I require additional cooperation from Japan's National Police Agency".

"Huh? What? Why Japan in particular?" L heard a male shout. From his brief research of the members attending the meeting, one Soichiro Yagami stuck out. L had worked one a previous case with him many years ago, back when L was just starting out. The man had a strong sense of justice which seemed to overtake his personal life not that L could complain since the majority of his private time he spent work on cases with Light.

"Whether the guilty party is an individual or a group, there's a strong possibility that they are Japanese. And even if they are not, we can be sure they're hiding in Japan" L explained, he had hoped that Chief Yagami would drop the subject however...

"What is all this based on?" Chief Yagami accused.

"Why Japan, you ask? I think I will be able to provide you will proof of that after I directly confront the culprit" L answered before turning his screen off. Watari would inform him of the ICPO's decision for now he need to finalise his plans plus he wanted to run some ideas past Light about his confrontation.

L loaded skype on his laptop and clicked on the call button next to Light's name. Matt was still developing their own version of skype to prevent all their calls from being hacked or monitored however, the genius hacker and computer programmer had to deal with Mello his full-time diva boyfriend who was in a constant fight with Near. So, the programme was neither here nor there to ever becoming operational.

"What do you want? It's five in the morning" Light grumbled as soon as he accepted the call.

"I'm sorry for wanting to see your beautiful face" L teased, there was obvious evidence that Light had only just woken up the excessive bedhead was a given since Light never allowed anyone to see him without brushing his hair to look somewhat presentable well anyone but L who enjoyed seeing Light a little roughed up especially if L had been the one to make Light look... he should probably stop that train of thought before he got hard.

"Liar. You never ring this early in the morning if it was a social call. So, what's happened? Do I need to hide someone body, I'm sure I can get Beyond's expertise?" Light said glaring at his husband, he hated being woken up this early in the morning unlike his insomniac husband some people needed their beauty sleep.

"I can't believe I have to have a reason to call my husband" L pouted before adding "and why would I need help with hiding a dead body, Watari has plenty of experience".

"Why did you call L?" Light asked whilst rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, he knew he wasn't going back to sleep after this so instead he ran a hand through his hair before climbing out of bed picking his laptop up and headed out of his bedroom and towards the kitchen to make himself some much needed coffee to at least try and stay awake.

"I wanted to run some of my ideas of confronting Merikh. The ICPO believe I'm going to make a direct confrontation" Light snorted, L continued "however, I was thinking of something else. I need to prove to the NPA at least the Merikh is real and not the figment of my imagination. I was thinking..." L started before explain his plan.