Chapter 23

Matsuda groaned. They had only allowed him to leave the court after being stuck with Naomi in a small meeting room for the last three hours after Ryuzaki Rue's 'death'. The court wanted to investigate his death to see whether someone else had killed Rue or whether Merikh's responsible. Which meant Matsuda had to pretend to play the grieving boyfriend's role, constantly cry in this small meeting room as Naomi pretended to comfort him. So, when he'd finally allowed to leave. After Ryuzaki's body has been sent to the coroner's office for further analyse. Obviously, Watari's on standby to steal the body before anyone realises B is still alive. He doesn't really go anywhere, stepping outside, taking in the sun's warmth. Letting it hit his face and letting out a deep sigh allowing everything that happened today washes over him.

He tried to keep his mind off that terrifying creature he saw behind Teru in the court. There's no doubt in his mind that it's a Shinigami, Merikh's Shinigami, but Matsuda expected Teru would've come after him. Amane's Shinigami seemed so loyal to her that it threatened to kill them if the task force harmed Misa on multiple occasions. If it weren't for Kira's quick thinking telling the Shinigami that if he and L died. Their files containing the information on Misa's crimes would be sent to an anonymous source who you see it through that Amane was executed. Matsuda couldn't figure out how they will deal with Amane once Merikh's captured, if Misa meant that much to this Shinigami then the members of the task force risked dying themselves if they tried to execute her for her crimes as the second Merikh. If this Shinigami is so loyal to Misa, shouldn't Merikh's Shinigami be utterly devoted to him? It should have told Teru that someone could see it, Teru should've acted by now, but he hadn't. From the little Naomi had found out, Teru had been allowed to leave after being held for only an hour.

"Hyuk, I never expected someone to find the death note," an unfamiliar creepy voice said from behind Matsuda. He felt the hairs on the back of his arms stand up as he slowly turned around to find Merikh's Shinigami standing right behind him. Panic washed over Matsuda as he desperately searched the grounds, looking for Teru or even Higuchi, but found no one. He's by himself with the Shinigami.

"W-what do you want from me?" Matsuda stuttered out; the police academy tried to prepare him with taking with suspects, but he doesn't remember receiving the Shinigami 101 class. This is mad. Here he is entirely out of his depth, Kira or L were better suited to this. Still, Matsuda had long destroyed his earpiece. After being shoved into the meeting room, so no one saw it and realised that Matsuda is in on Rue's fake death so, he couldn't call out for help.

"I don't want anything. I'm just curious how you stumbled across the death note since Teru believes he hidden it well inside his bag." the Shinigami said. Still, Matsuda stayed quiet; he may act stupid sometimes. Still, he's not that stupid to reveal any classified information to their enemy, "Oh don't worry, I won't tell Teru. I may be a Shinigami, but even I can keep secrets, I've told Teru this, but I'm not on his side or the police. I'm simply a spectator."

"And that should reassure me how?" Matsuda felt like he's finally lost it, so many people in his family told him it's a bad idea to become a police officer that it's something he couldn't handle, but he ignored them and signed up. Maybe that was the first sign he's going mad. After graduating from the police academy, everything went downhill from there. Being assigned to the Merikh Case, meeting and stupidly falling for a serial killer well may not fall for. Still, Matsuda knows he's attracted to B, and now, he's talking to a god of death. This isn't what he signed up for when he decided he wanted to become a detective, yet this is what he ended up with.

"It doesn't, but where's the fun it that." the Shinigami said grinning, "You got any apples, I haven't had one since this morning."

"An apple?" yep, Matsuda finally lost it.