Malevolent Dreams

Thank you OneGalaxiePen for the suggestion- I hope I got it right! :) Remember to brush your teeth before you cross the road

"I don't want to go to sleep yet!" Dream whined, hiding under the kitchen table.

Nightmare had been trying to get his brother to go to sleep for quite a while now yet he kept refusing. It wasn't uncommon for the guardian of positivity to protest against bed time however something seemed different about it. Usually Nightmare would be able to placate and convince him to go to bed by promising to read him a story but not even that was working anymore.

"Dream, It's 10PM, that's well past your bedtime." 

"I don't care- I want to stay awake longer." Dream mumbled, hugging his knees from under the table. He didn't want to sleep- he couldn't sleep. Not after the horrific dream he had last night.

Nightmare let out an exasperated sigh, crouching down so he was eye-level with his brother. Dream peered at him with sad eyes, causing the other to become somewhat uneasy. Was there something wrong? Now that he thought about it, there did seem to be a bubble of negativity submerged within all of the positive emotions Dream had.

"Are you okay?" Nightmare asked, his voice laced with concern. "What's the matter?"

Dream's eyes widened slightly. He wanted to tell him however he didn't want to cause his brother to worry. Nightmare tended to overthink everything; if Dream told him that he'd had a nightmare about him then he'd probably feel horrible about it- even though he technically had nothing to do with it. Maybe it would be best for the guardian of positivity to just keep quiet. Besides, he can't have the same nightmare again, right?

"I just don't want to go to bed." Dream answered after an uncomfortable moment of silence.

Nightmare frowned, not entirely believing his brother. He narrowed his eyes at Dream and stared at him for a few moments before letting out a breath of defeat.

"Well, you still need to sleep." He huffed.

Dream remained quiet. He knew he couldn't keep arguing, that'd make Nightmare even more suspicious. He let out a sigh and crawled out from underneath the table. Nightmare held out his hand for his brother, pulling him up carefully.

"Do you want me to read you a story?"

Dream nodded and Nightmare turned away, exiting the kitchen and heading up the stairs. Dream trailed after him, trying not to dwell on the nightmare.

'I'll be fine, I just need to focus on something else. A story should help.' He mused, entering his bedroom after Nightmare and approaching his bed. The guardian of positivity scrambled into his bed, tucking himself in the yellow bed cover and peering up at his brother expectantly.

"Story."

Nightmare chuckled quietly, taking a seat on the edge of Dream's bed and humming in response, contemplating on what the story should be about.

"Can the story be about Droom and Nootmare again?" Dream asked hopefully.

"No, I said I'd never tell you another story about them."

Dream huffed.

"I won't go to sleep then." He declared, grinning mischievously to himself while ignoring the nagging fear in the back of his mind.

Nightmare's eye twitched.

"Fine, I'll tell you a story about Droom and Nootmare." He grumbled, smiling faintly when he heard his brother cheer victoriously.