It Used to Be Different

Thank you RandomBoi03 for this awesome suggestion :) Remember to brush your teeth before you cross the road

I didn't really know how to write this but I hope it's not too bad!

ALSO incase you haven't noticed my version of Dreamtale that I write about is a lil different than the actual one since I made the village further away from the tree and NM + D have a house so the story wont be completely accurate to the original sorry ;v;

Long ago, there was a single guardian that protected the Tree of Feelings- a tree that held two types of apples: the golden ones were responsible for producing positive emotions and sent the feelings to all of the universes. The black ones were the opposite; they were responsible for the negative emotions which were also shared across worlds. The tree is highly important, if it ever ceased to exist then there would be no emotions at all. Just emptiness. 

The guardian and the tree's life source was connected which meant the only way for the tree to die would be if the guardian was slaughtered. Everything seemed to be alright for a while, no one tried to get to the tree and the guardian never thought anyone would. 

But sometimes, monsters and humans received more negative emotions than they were supposed to. Sometimes, the negativity became too much and clouded their vision. They would become so overwhelmed with the bad feelings that they let them control them. They assumed that if they could get their hands on at least one of the golden apples, they could obtain their power and receive enough confidence to be able to go through with any job, no matter what that may be.

Killing someone, for example.

So the monsters and humans that were flooded with negativity started to fight with the guardian and try and damage the tree in hopes of snatching a golden apple. Alas, the guardian failed and was fatally wounded by one of the bad people. She managed to kill the aggressor and collapsed onto her knees, clutching her chest where the wound cut deep. Blood seeped out of her like a waterfall and she knew she wouldn't survive. She could fuse with the tree so that it wouldn't die with her however that would mean there wouldn't be a guardian and then it would be easy for the bad ones to steal the apples.

The guardian decided her best bet was to conjure up all of the positive and negative energies she could from the tree and create two separate beings. She named the energies Dream and Nightmare.

It took some time, however she was finally able to think of a suitable form that wouldn't be torn apart by the huge energies like her previous attempt. She had searched through her mind hurriedly and found a small skeleton in the universe known as 'Underswap' and copied the form into two empty replicas. The two light energies immediately fused with the skeletons and this time the form was not destroyed thanks to the many escape routes a skeleton has- everything was under control. The guardian, now a mother to the two skeletons, then fused with the tree and saved it from dying. 

Dream and Nightmare remembered being created by the guardian and they knew what their purpose was. It was lonely at first however the two soon quickly bonded and agreed that they were brothers, even if there was no real biological connection. They passed the days talking to each other and gradually became inseparable. No one tried to approach the tree and everything seemed peaceful and right- they were content.

Soon, more and more life began to fill Dreamtale. The two brothers didn't mind, they enjoyed watching things change and soon enough the construction of a village started nearby. The two guardians would occasionally leave the tree and visit the village so they could talk with the villagers. There were around twelve monsters that currently lived in Dreamtale and all of them worked hard to construct the village. Dream and Nightmare would help them by supplying them with resources and in return the villagers all decided to build the two guardians a house. Everything was great! They were happy and felt as if nothing could go wrong.