Sadness and Sorrow

Thank you Rainbow_Meifwa for another great suggestion you're awesome :) Remember to brush your teeth before you brush your teeth

Nightmare stared up will dull, lilac eyes at his bedroom ceiling, studying the glow-in-the-dark stars that decorated it. He didn't know what time it was; the darkness of the night obscured his vision so he could only make out shapes and outlines. He exhaled quietly, shifting slightly so that he could peer out through the window.

Again, he couldn't really see much. There was no moonlight shining into his room nor any glittering stars in the cloudy, inky sky above. It was all just black- as if he was staring out at an abyss.

It had been a few days since Nightmare glimpsed into the future and he wasn't coping well. He's become a lot more jumpy and panicky- not to mention more protective of his brother. He didn't noticed he'd changed until Dream brought it up one day when they were playing tag outside. He sighed at the memory. He didn't know what to do anymore. He knew he had to alter the future so that he never eats the apples yet the thought of even touching them is making him feel sick. If he doesn't want to touch them then surely he won't want to eat them, right?

The guardian let out a small groan, burying his face into his fluffy pillow. His head ached and he didn't know what to feel. He was sad and frustrated with the future and himself; everything was weighing down on him and it felt like any minute it'd all come crashing down on him, sending him into a frenzy. He needed to talk to someone- but he couldn't tell Dream, he didn't want to worry his brother even more. Tears welled up in the corner of his eye-sockets. This was too much for him to handle. Nightmare shut his eyes tight and clenched his teeth in a desperate attempt to stop himself from breaking down. He was pathetic.

"Night?"

Startled, Nightmare let out a squeak and flung his eyes open to peer up at whoever was there. He was expecting to see Dream, however the flickering 'ERROR' signs made it blatantly obvious it wasn't.

"Error-? Why are you here?" Nightmare asked, his voice wavering. 

"I was watching you sleep." The destroyer answered with his usual broken voice. "You look sad."

Nightmare felt his face heat up in embarrassment.

"Why were you watching me sleep?" He cried out, being hushed by the other skeleton.

"Be quiet, you don't want to wake up your brother, do you?" Error scolded, folding his arms. "I didn't know it was night time; there's no sense of time in the anti-void. I just happened to open a window to your AU while you were in bed crying."

Nightmare grumbled something under his breath, sitting up so he could see the other better. The two glared at each other for a few seconds before Nightmare sighed, the sadness creeping back up. Error's glare softened. He knew there was something wrong and it had to be pretty serious if it was upsetting his friend this much.

"Do you want to go to Outertale?" The glitchy skeleton asked, tilting his head slightly. 

Despite everything, Nightmare felt himself smile at the offer.

"Yeah, that'd be nice." He answered, moving the bed cover aside and swinging his legs over the side of the bed. He heaved himself up and clicked his fingers, changing from his starry pyjamas into his regular clothes. Error snorted at the childish pyjamas, about to open his mouth and make a joking comment however decided against it when he saw the guardian about to poke him.

"Hey, don't threaten me like that." Error huffed, stepping away and eying the finger with distrust.

Nightmare gave him a small grin, rolling his eyes in amusement.