4

chapter four 

chapter four 

no one had expected Yanmei's demise. her death was not seemed to be anytime soon to the people who cared about her. so when the day came that her heart stopped and she was pronounced dead, it broke all of them. Zuko and Sokka were struck the most by her death. neither could eat or sleep or think anymore. they felt incomplete without the girl who brought them joy. both teenage boys had loved her, and they mourned her in different ways.

Zuko spent his time focused on making sure she did not die for nothing, that there was still good in him, and that good she had always seen would be used to make him fulfill his destiny back home and make things right. his way of getting his mind off of Mei was to go back to Mai. but even then, everytime he looked at her, he saw the ruby eyed girl he had been in love with since he knew what love even was. he thought about her every single day of the weeks that had passed as he and Azula traveled back home to the Fire Nation. he was finally free to come home, but it felt wrong without Yanmei at his side.

Sokka spent those same weeks finding a way to take down the Fire Nation. he spent his time stuffing his face in work. trying his best to find allies and anything that could aid them in defeating the Fire Lord. Aang was asleep during those weeks, so Sokka was in charge of everything. he had to step up to be the leader, to be the one who saved all their asses. he had to get revenge for the pain the Fire Nation put him and the girl he loved through. he wouldn't stop until the war was won in his favor.

+++++++++++++

after the not date, Manami and Shan hung out all the time. nearly everyday. and a couple months later, he asked her to be his girlfriend, which she of course said yes to. Manami liked that they waited and didn't rush into a relationship, it gave her time to truly decide if she wanted to be with him. Manami was so grateful that she met Daria and her family, and became apart of that family herself. she was so happy with her life. she had left Zuko, Iroh, Azula, Sokka, Aang, Katara, Toph, and the others in her past. all that mattered now was the present. Shan, Daria, Hira, and Raider were her present.

presently, she stood with Daria in their kitchen as the two made dinner. once a week, the two made their favorite dishes from their childhood. some weeks it would be ones from the Fire Nation where Manami grew up, and others it would be Southern Water Tribe foods that Daria grew up with. the older woman felt that Manami deserved to know about her Water Tribe heretige, so along with cooking, she told stories of what it was like to grow up in the poles.

"there's some stories that my mother would tell me when I was younger... one was of the Blood Moon. it was a celestial event that happened once every couple years, and the Water Tribe children born under it were blessed with extraordinary bending" Daria spoke as she boiled the noodles to be eaten with the seaweed stew, a common dish in the Southern tribe.