15

chapter fifteen

chapter fifteen

much to Manami's, or as her given name Yanmei's, dismay, Aang decided that having a 'welcome home party' would be the best option to celebrate the dual benders return. she tried to convince him that it wasn't necessary, but seeing as everyone else cheerfully agreed with him, she finally gave in. which is how she ended up soaking in a hot springs of a local bathhouse with Katara and Toph.

"ahhh, nothing says relaxation like a nice bath," Katara sighs with a smile, soaking up the warmth of the water.

"damn right!" Toph exclaims with a laugh.

Yanmei giggled at her friends. she missed them so much. it filled her heart to see that they hadn't changed.

"this definitely makes me feel relaxed. I wish they had one of these in Kerkaw" the raven haired girl said, leaning her head back with a smile.

"that's why Cranefish is going to be the best city in the Earth Kingdom! hot springs on every corner!"

Katara sweatdropped at the blind girls enthusiasm, "that's going a bit overboard, Toph"

"I don't know, sounds like a great idea to me," Yanmei smirked, watching the younger waterbender slowly start to go insane.

this is how thing remained for a few fun moments. Yanmei and Toph babbled about hot springs while Katara gave them logical explanation as to why their wishes couldn't be granted, while screaming at them of course. but things quickly took a turn when Toph asked a surprising question.

"hold up... why do you have two heartbeats?" the blind earthbender asked curiously.

"huh?!" Yanmei squeaked out nervously. how can she tell? do her powers have no limit?

"what are you talking about Toph?" Katara asked.

"I noticed it when I met Yanmei in town. there were four heartbeats. two of them came from her" Toph replied with a calm tone. her eyes then widened as she realized the explanation. she stood up in the bath and pointed a finger at the raven haired girl, "you're pregnant!"

Yanmei stared at her friend with her mouth slightly open, but no words came out. she was utterly speechless. what was there to even say? how could she explain the past couple years without the guilt crushing her like a ton of bricks?

Katara looked at Toph with wide eyes before moving her attention towards their friend, "Yanny... is it true?"

the second Yanmei looked at Katara tears rushed down her face. her body was frozen in place, but the sobs escaping her lips were incontrollable.

"It's true," she whispered as she sucked in for breath. she couldn't breathe, and she couldn't control her emotions. she brought her knees up to her chest and crossed her arms, burring her face into her arms, "it wasn't supposed to happen this way"