9

chapter nine

chapter nine

Manami didn't get better the next day. or the day after that, or the day after that. every morning she woke up with an unnerving urge to literally puke her brains out. it only lasted in the mornings, after that, she was all fine. except the nausea and constant hunger she experienced throughout the day. but she didn't tell them that. she experienced watching this with many women in the Fire Nation palace for many years. she knew exactly what was wrong with her.

Shan and Folami let her go to the healer alone. well actually she threatened them if they didn't let her, but nevertheless she took one of the ostrich-horses and rode to a healing home on the outskirts of town. the town healer was a water bender. her family had lived in the earth kingdom for quite some time, and she was quite good friends with the dual bender. she was practically her only friend right now.

Manami entered the home and was greeted with the bell above the door ringing and the smell of fresh bread flooding her nose. the healer worked in her home, it was easier for her that way, and her patients never minded. the auroua of being comfortable in a home when sick gave them comfort. Manami walked through the front room and into the kitchen, where the healer and her sister stood as they cooked and laughed.

the dual bender cleared her throat and both eyes turned to her in surprise. Manami stiffled a laugh, "I'm sorry, I should've let you know I was coming, but I'm afraid this cannot wait"

the healer, Kimi, made her way towards the girl with a frown, "is everything alright, Nami? you don't look well," Kimi led the girl through the kitchen and towards one of the healing rooms. she soaked a rag in cold water and pressed it against the yunger girls forehead. 

Kimi's sister stood at the doorway to the room, her green eyes nearly frowning like the one on her lips, "what happened, darling?"

Manami sat down on the cushion below her with a sigh, "these past four days I've been sick, but only at dawn, and my head and stomach hurts all day long," she explained it the best she could with actually telling them what she believed was wrong. she didn't want to say it if it wasn't true. the two sisters understood the meaning behind her words.

Kimi nods and grabs a bucket of water. she used the water to determine was was wrong and heal whatever she could. the same thing Manami and Katara could do, but Kimi was more experienced in the art of healing.

Manami looked over at her sister and gave her a tight lipped smile, "come on in, Kiya. I want you to be here with me"

she had befriened Daria's friend Kiya over the three years she had been in Kerkaw, and they were there for each other the mourn the loss of the family. Manami met Kimi through her younger sister Kiya, and the three became good friends. even though Daria was gone, they made sure to stay in touch.

Kiya hesitantly stepped into the room, but sat beside Manmai and held her hand as her water bending sister bended the water from the bucket and over the dual benders body. she moved her arms gracefully and used her power to feel where the sickness was coming from. the water hovered over Manami's stomach for a couple moments, and then Kimi released the water back into the bucket.

Kimi positioned herslef to turn towards Manami, "good news, you're not actually sick, but..." she paused, watching the gears turn in the youngest girls head as she then realized her fear was true.

Manami swallowed the lump forming in her throat and sat up, a tear threatening the fall, "but I'm pregnant," her voice cracked as she spoke and a quiet sob escaped her lips. Kiya's grip tightened on her hand as she used her free hand to muffle her sobs. she slowly lowered her hand to her chin and looked between the sisters in sadness, "I-I can't have a baby! I'm not ready to become a mother! I-I was supposed to get away from them first. I can't-I can't do this Kiya, Kimi. they're ruining me! I can't let my child be around them!"

Kiya wrapped her arms around Manami as she cried, letting the girl pour her emotions out as the reality of the situation settled in, "shh, we'll figure something out, okay? we won't let them have a hold over you anymore"

"you don't understand, Kiya," Manami released herself from the other girls grip and shook her head, "Folami killed my family, your friends, without hesitation. he did it all just to get me to work with him. there is nothing I can do to be free without innocent people dying"

it was now Kimi's turn to speak up "we can't let him get away with this, Manami. we have to do something. we can tell the townspeople, or the real soldiers. something, anything"

another sob escaped the dual benders lips, "he'll kill you both for it, Kimi. I-I can't let that happen... there is nothing we can do to stop them"

Kiya shakes her head, "I won't accept that, Manami. we can get you out of town. pay someone to sneak you away. there has to be a way to get you out of this"

Manami shook her head at everything option they spewed her way. none of them would work. Folami had eyes and ears everywhere, and he would stop at nothing to get Manami to finish the job he had for her. and of course, Shan was too much of a coward to stop his father. he would never be apart of any plan Manami thought of. he may tell her that he was in love with her, but his loyalty to his father was stronger than any love he could have for her.

the father of her baby was supposed to be someone who wasn't a monster, he wasn't supposed to be this Shan. her life wasn't supposed to be this way. she was supposed to be free, but right now she felt as if she was trapped. there was no way to stop Folami and Shan from finding this out, and they would never let her go when they found out. she would be bound to them until death.