11

chapter eleven

chapter eleven

Haru. the girl had heard that name a couple times before from Katara. she didn't remember the whole story, but from what she does remember, Haru was an earthbender who saved his father and hundreds of other benders from a Fire Navy prison thanks to Katara's faith in them. Katara always has faith in people. no matter what they did, she knows that they could be redeemed, and she did that for Yanmei more than once.

when Haru spoke Sokka's name a chill went down Manami's spine. she hadn't heard anyone beside herself speak his name in three years, and the fact that her gut was right, he was looking for her, gave her hope that she could see him once again.

a short pause fell between the two benders, and Haru noticed a small smile appear on the girls lips from behind her hood. he cleared his throat to gain her attention, "I'm sorry to speak up on you like that, but I had to make sure it was you," he looked over at his wrist incased in ice, "if you could free me I'll tell you everything"

she looked up at him and waved her hand, turning the ice into water and freeing him, "sorry," she muttered, "but you shouldn't be here, Haru. if he finds out you-"

"who? Folami Haku? I'm not scared of him," Haru snorted with a confident smile.

Manami furrowed her brows, "how do you know about him? are you working with him or something?"

Haru shook his head, "no, it's not like that. I did some research on you and this town- you're quite famous around here actually- the mystery girl whose family died in the fire and now lives with the most wealthy family in the town"

she looked down at her feet at the mention of the event that haunted her to this day, "the story is more complicated than that..."

"I figured it was. from what they tell me you're pretty strong, and sometimes too strong for yourself to handle"

her eyes meet his, "so you know that if you try anything against me you could be dead in seconds"

he nods, "I do, and I won't. the Avatar and his friends helped me take back my home and reunite my family, I owe it to them to help you do the same"

she was thankful for him wanting to save her and help her get away from Folami and Shan, but Manami knew it wouldn't be that easy, "that's easier said than done. there are a couple obstacles in our way"

"I'm sure we can handle them," Haru reassures her. he then notices her right hand clutch her stomach and the frown on her face, "oh... you mean..."

Manami interrupts him with a deep sigh, "I can't do anything to put myself or my child at more risk," she turns away from him in the direction she was originally going to walk, "I'm sorry, Haru, but you came all the way here for nothing. the best you can do is leave and let me go through with my plan when the time is right"