Devil Don't Die

Bucky

I woke up feeling a strange absence.

I didn't feel Aradia in my arms like I usually did most mornings...maybe she'd had to slip out early to avoid being caught or something.

I shrugged off the odd emptiness I felt without her there as I awoke, rubbing sleep from my eyes and trudging to the bathroom to get showered and dressed.

I shuffled into the kitchen where Steve had already prepared breakfast; this was also strange as Aradia loved cooking us breakfast and she almost always did it.

"How come Ara didn't make breakfast?" I questioned.

"She hasn't come from her room yet, thought I'd try to make it" Steve chuckled, placing a large plate of scrambled eggs alongside the plate of bacon and toast so people could choose what they wanted.

"Doubt it'll be as good as hers though" Steve grinned.

"Wait, you haven't seen her?" I paused feeling the growing worry threatening to consume me.

"I'm sure she's just with Raphael, Buck" Steve gripped my shoulder to reassure me.

Still, it wasn't like Aradia to not say good morning to anyone or even show.

Tony groaned as he stretched, entering the kitchen with eyes that lit up when he spied his breakfast. Nat and Wanda followed suit discussing something about a new knife garter, no Aradia yet.

"Me first big guy, you two always eat everything" Sam suddenly shoved between Steve and I to get to the food first.

"back off tin can!" Sam snapped as he and Tony pushed each other in line for the food.

"I literally bought the ingredients to make this!" Tony shot back.

"Has anyone seen Ara this morning?" I asked again.

"No" everyone resounded and I felt my heart drop.

"Have you checked with the Morningstars?" Wanda suggested, quickly using her magic to levitate a plate off Tony who gawked at her.

"No need Soldier" Hera interjected.

She stood behind us all, dressed to impress as always, her hair in neat curls and lips painted red.

"she left for a mission with Lucifer" Hera growled.

I froze sharing a glare with Steve.

Everyone paused, watching me curiously like I was about to lose it.

How could she do that? She knew how worried I was about her! Hydra was after my girlfriend. I had to remain composed, no one except Steve and Wanda even knew me and Aradia were together.

"She what?" Tony yelled, getting angry for me instead.

"She was barred, Barnes didn't you tell her!" He accused.

I stepped forward defensively and Steve pushed me back.

"Hey! Calm it Stark, Barnes told Aradia" Natasha hopped in front of Tony placing a calming hand on his chest, just below his arc reactor.

"Oops..." Hera said, not really meaning it.

She obviously knew she wasn't supposed to say anything-also-since when did she call Lucifer by his name?

"I heard it was some Hydra base by the orders of Director Fury" Hera said nonchalantly whipping out a tub of ice cream from the freezer and shovelling a spoonful in her mouth.