Lucifer's Pawns

Bucky

We were all gathered in the medical bay where Wanda was asleep in a hospital bed connected to wires.

Helen Cho had said she'd recovery quickly and fully but Steve couldn't shake the worried expression from his face, I'd never seen him so wrapped up in his own thoughts before...I thought back to the way he used to look at Peggy and instantly knew what was going on.

Tony had ordered Shawarma for everyone whilst we discussed the contents of the Hydra File.

"When you said they're after one, who are they after?" Aradia spoke, placing her meal down like she couldn't focus on it right now.

Tony shifted to cast a glimpse at Nat and Clint before he answered her.

The look made me feel nervous in all types of ways, Aradia had become very important to me-she was my home. She stayed in my room every night now, we'd talk and I'd sleep, I'd read to her and she'd close her eyes to pretend she was dreaming.

"The file said that Lucifer had contacted Hydra's forces in search for his daughter. If they found and captured his daughter...they'd get to keep her as a weapon and Lucifer would supply the means to contain and control her" Nat answered for Tony.

Aradia's lips parted in surprise and fear, I felt her hand searching for mine to ground herself; I wrapped an arm tightly round her shoulders and let the information sink in.

"My father..." she shook her head in disbelief.

"He would give me to Hydra?" She let the words stumble from her mouth.

"Lucifer is planning to get you back in any way he can" Clint sighed.

"If they do get their hands on you, who knows what kind of plans they have for someone as powerful as you" Clint rubbed his face tiredly.

Tony's face was contorted in a firm frown at the mere thought of his sister being taken away.

"This wouldn't of happened if you'd just stayed where you belonged" Thor growled at Aradia.

She spun around to face him in anger, her muscles were tense and I could practically feel her anger and hostility pouring off of her.

"You don't stay in Asgard and neither does your murderer brother. So far the only gods that have threatened earth are you" she countered, it was true in all fairness.

Thor couldn't deny that his brother had tried to overtake earth multiple times and he'd destroyed things to stop it from happening.

"You know your kind aren't allowed to leave hell. You deserve to rot there" Thor advanced to Aradia looking threatening.

I pushed Aradia behind me and faced him myself, I was the same height as the God but not afraid of his status in the least.

"She's not of this worlds good Soldier of Winter" Thor's words made Aradia recoil in on herself.

"Don't talk about her" I snapped, I felt the room tense and Steve walked over to us.

"you don't deserve to speak about her. You don't know her good like I do" I said, conveying how much she meant to me.

She meant so much to all of us, she was so good.

I was sick of hearing that she was supposed to be evil! I saw her good: I saw her smile when her head rested on a comfy pillow, I heard her laugh when I couldn't work the Tv, I saw her tears when I had nightmares, I saw her love for her family.

"Thor!" Steve raised his voice chidingly.

"Put your predispositions aside and think about the bigger picture. You're an avenger, if Hydra gets Ara we lose-big time." Steve reminded him.

"The last thing we need is a testosterone contest, fellas" Nat rolled her eyes at us.

I step backwards and slipped my hand into Aradia's, her hand squeezed mine twice and I could feel myself slowly relaxing at her touch.

"we need to focus. DD, how would your father contact Hydra? Isn't he in hell?" Nat questioned with her arms folded thoughtfully.

"Yes he is-" Aradia paused and tilted her head.

"unless" she continued.

"he can come from hell. Hell would be ruled by his most trusted immortals: the seven angels that fell with him. It's uncommon but not unheard of" Aradia revealed looking at each of us except for Thor.

"Where the hell does the devil hide?" Sam sounded utterly confused.

"Lucifer doesn't hide" Thor scoffed.

"Despite your remark, you're right. My father doesn't hide...in fact he'd be overly ostentatious about his presence" Aradia chuckled dryly.

"Look, lets take a break. Recoop. Wanda's recovering and we need to be in a better frame of mind, we know what we're up against. Ara can teach us what to expect...we'll be okay guys" Steve encouraged.

Everyone agreed silently and my eyes wandered to a sleeping Wanda, she looked peaceful and her heart monitor was steady.

"Wanna go to my room?" I suggested to Ara.

She nodded happily and I took her from the group and into my bedroom, her clothes from the night were folded on the end of my bed, she had a draw reserved for her clothes in my room since she spent most her time in here anyway, books I'd read to her were in a pile on my chair.

My room was graced with traces of her.

"I know talking about Lucifer scares you" I voiced, she turned to me with misty eyes and I saw the tear fall from her eye.

"Hey, hey" I cooed, using my thumb to wipe the tear away.

"Whenever someone talks about him...I'm reminded of what I was made to be. Every time I see Thor I think about how he is good and this amazing fucking angel guy and I'm evil" she confessed.

"Being the monster is exhausting because I can't explain why I don't want to be one like my father!" She cried, throwing her hands up in confusion.

"Dia, I've spent my whole life being told by Hydra that I was designed to kill, made to be a monster...but when you came, I realised that I can still be good-I still have time. Being a monster is not in your DNA it's a choice. You chose to be good and you so are! You don't realise how good and pure you are, you don't realise how good you make me" I pulled her close to me as I spoke.

She sniffed her tears away with a half smile, but the light was back in her eyes.

"don't let anyone decide for you."

"You're not a monster either Buck!" She cupped my cheek with her soft, nimble hands.

"And I don't want anyone to take me from you" she leaned her forehead against mine.

I placed my hand on the small of her back and gripped her waist.

"No one. Is ever. Taking you from me" I swore.

She smiled and nodded, her trust in me gave me all the strength I'd need to follow through with my promise, she meant too much to be taken from me.

"I'd kill anyone who got in between you and I" I said truthfully.

She slid her arms around my waist and hugged me.

"Can we do something, just the two of us?" Her voice was small and cute, it warmed my chest to hear it.

"Grab some food and meet me in the rose gardens" I told her with a grin.

"Buck it's nighttime" she giggled.

"I know, now go get drinks, food and I'll take care of the rest!" I tickled her abdomen as she swiftly walked out the door and into the kitchen.

I savoured they sound of her laughter before grabbing two blankets, candles and a lantern that Ara loved to use when we read because of the glow it casted.