Shades (Blind AU)

Requested by littleskyfoxs.  This was an awesome request btw I love this concept.  I hope I did it justice!

(TW:  Prejudice against the visually impaired, swearing)

Emile was getting worried. It's been a few weeks since the accident, and his boyfriend Remy was acting strange. He was constantly bumping into things, knocking his shoulder on walls, and he had refused to drive anywhere. Emile was pretty sure that the refusal to drive was just him being scared to get behind the wheel again. Roman had suggested that maybe Remy's new sunglasses were just a little too dark and that was why he was bumping into things.

But Emile wasn't so sure. Remy was wearing his sunglasses all the time. He used to take them off when they were on dates, but now they stayed on 24/7. Emile hadn't seen Remy's eyes in weeks. It was killing him. Remy had invited Emile over to his place, giving Emile the perfect opportunity to talk to him about the whole situation..

"Remy!"

"Heya, doll."

Emile threw his arms around his boyfriend. They two held each other for a bit before letting each other go and heading on inside. Remy only bumped into the wall three times on the walk from the front door to the couch. Once they were seated on the couch together, Emile worked up the courage to ask Remy about his glasses.

"Hey, Remy?"

"Yeah?" Remy said, not even looking in Emile's direction.

"Are you... is something wrong?"

"What are you talking about?" Remy ask defensively.

"You keep running into things, you haven't taken off your glasses in forever, and you refuse to drive. Is it something to do with the accident? Are you-... are you mad at me for something?"

"No! I'm not mad at you." Remy immediately reassured his boyfriend, sliding his hands on the couch cushion towards Emile. Once he found Emile's hands, he held them tightly. "You didn't do anything. I'm just being stupid and moody."

"Remy, you're not stupid. Just tell me what's going on."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I just can't! I don't want to weigh you down with my stupid problems." Remy started to let go of Emile's hands, but Emile held them firmly.

"Your problems aren't stupid either. You won't 'weigh me down' by telling me what the problem is. I promise. Tell me." Emile waited for Remy to respond, but he didn't. Frustrated, Emile squeezed his boyfriend's hands and shook them a little. "Look at me!"

"I-." Remy started but was cut off by the lump in his throat. Emile spotted a few droplets of tears roll down his cheek. "I can't."

"Yes, you can. Just take off your glasses if they're too dark."

"No, you don't get it. I can't."

"What are you-?"

Realization hit Emile with the force of a tidal wave. With shaky hands, he reached out and took Remy's glasses off. His eyes were clouded and gray, shimmering with tears. Emile felt a cool numbness chill his insides for a moment before his brain was able to put his thoughts into words.

"You're... blind?"

"Surprise, b*tch." Remy tried to laugh it off. After taking a few minutes to process, Emile spoke again.

"And you've just been stumbling around, hiding your eyes?"

"I mean... yeah?"

"Have you even gone to see a doctor?"