Chapter 5

Kendra Woods had been in a relationship with emotionally draining, disrespectful, selfish, jealous, possessive, and controlling Mark Taylor for four years now.

She had been putting up with his stuck up ways for years, but she was getting fed up. Sometimes, she didn't even want to be in a relationship anymore. She was sick of Mark's possessive ways. You don't need to wear this. You don't need to do this. You don't need to talk to him. You don't need to talk to her. Why are you over there? You need to be this. You need to be that. Those were some of the things Mark would say to her, like he owned her. Who needs men anyways? Nobody needs them. Nobody needs a relationship, were the thoughts Kendra had lingering in her mind.

Yet still, she wouldn't leave the relationship. She didn't like change. She's one of those people who would put up with a situation with hope that it would change without her walking away. But, she was running out of hope. Nevertheless, she stayed.

She was currently laying down, remembering how angry Mark had gotten one day, because her male co-worker called her telephone, asking to speak with her. Mark, being the nosy, insecure, control freak he is, had rushed to answer her phone. It was around 9pm and dark outside. Even after the co-worker telling him that he was calling to discuss work-related matters, and after Kendra repeatedly ensured Mark of that, he still accused her of being unfaithful. He raged so badly that Kendra ran outside, not knowing what he would do. He had put his hands around her neck, but he let go before squeezing. That night, about a year and a half ago, Kendra had jumped into her car and drove to Pamela and Will's home.

She began to reflect on how Pamela and Will had been so comforting to her that night. She was crying and shaking.

Will, who had seen his father show aggressiveness towards his mother when growing up, hated to see men hurt women, physically, mentally, and emotionally. He had seen his father continuously disrespect and threaten his mother. He gave Pam and Kendra some space that night, and from there on, he knew he didn't really like Mark.

What Kendra knew for sure, though, was that if she broke up with Mark, she would stay single for a very long time.

While remembering the other nights she spent arguing with Mark, due to his harsh ways, she jotted into her journal, So many women suffer abuse from their partners. Many men suffer abuse, too. Whether that's physical or mental, it's still bad. Some people think jealousy is cute. Well newsflash, it isn't. I think what women want is protectiveness from their partners. They want their partners to want them to be safe and comfortable at all times. Now, that's the difference between protectiveness and jealousy. Jealousy doesn't care if your comfortable or safe. It's all about them when they're jealous. Jealousy is a sign of weakness. Either they don't trust themselves, or don't love themselves enough, or they know their partner deserves better. So, they get rowdy and paranoid at the thought of someone else taking their place, or having better things to offer. Jealousy is annoying. It's disgusting, rather. It's a selfish, evil existence that ruins the lives of many.