Last Stand

"No."

It was like being hit square in the chest with a missile, piercing her heart and taking her breath away. Gideon choked back sobs, Han's death ripping through her soul and leaving a ruined mess behind.

Without even thinking she grabbed her blaster, unloading shot after shot on her brother, her blaster shaking in her hands. A number of harsh profanities left her mouth, barely understandable through the quavering of her voice and the thick undertone of her suppressed sobs.

"We gotta go." Finn said, tugging on Gideon's arm.

"No." Gideon sobbed, anger and grief ripped through her heart. Her knees were wobbly and weak. When she breathed it felt like she was drowning.

Rey grabbed the woman's blaster, tossing it away from her her. She was holding back a sob, but tears were present in her eyes, leaving her face pale and blotchy as they trailed down her cheeks.

"Dalia." The name bounced around in Gideon's head, being spoken by a dozen different people, "We have to go."

Rey grabbed Gideon's arm gently, her frigid, trembling hands somehow bringing the captain a sense of warm comfort. Slowly, Gideon realized that the longer they stayed here the more her father's death would be in vain. She nodded, the motion of turning away from the scene proved to be more painful than agreeing to leave.

She said nothing as they climbed down from the balcony, running through the frigid temperature, which was even colder now that the sun was gone. Gideon shivered, the tears on her cheeks feeling frozen as they ran. They had to get back to the Millennium Falcon.

They started for the woods, all three desperately climbing over rocks and running around trees, just over ankle deep in snow. Gideon's body was going through the motions, her mind elsewhere as she sniffled behind her friends, her entire body feeling heavy with lead.

"This way." Finn nodded to their west. He gave both Rey and Gideon a reassuring look, trying to keep their spirits up until they got out of there.

This isn't over. It's far from over.

Gideon stopped. Red tinted the edges of her vision as she stared unforgivingly at the cloaked figure standing a few paces in front of them.

With the lighting of a blood red light saber, the unforgiving face of Kylo Ren stared back at them.

"We're not done yet." He said, like this was some sort of game.

Gideon shook with anger, tears streaming down her cheeks. Her hands, completely numb from the cold, were clenched so tightly into fists her nails dug into her palm. She couldn't feel the stinging sensation, or the blood that seeped under her nails.

"You're a monster." Rey shouted at him through a sob. The girl was heartbroken, losing the closest thing she's had to a father figure in a long, long time.

"It's just us now." Kylo Ren was banging his fist into a blaster wound in his side, one that Gideon or Chewbacca probably hit him with. Blood dripped onto the snow covered ground, "Han Solo can't save you now."

Gideon reached for her blaster, livid, but forgot that Rey had taken it and thrown it off the side of the balcony when she was shooting at Kylo Ren, and had the other one with her now.