Numb

In all honefsty, Gideon thought she was dead. Her body was numb, so numb it burned, but she was staring up at the darkened sky with an almost peaceful hum in her chest. The trees were swaying, shaking, snow sticking to her eyelashes. In a way it almost serene, comforting.

However, the sticky, hot pain that engulfed what remained of her left arm was a constant, throbbing reminder that she was still alive, though she didn't know for how much longer. Her heavy eyelids were dropping, her body so stiff she couldn't bring herself to move. All she could do was force herself to breathe and look up at the the sky.

"Gideon?"

Cold hands, which for some reason seemed warm to the captain, gently shook her right shoulder. A pained gasp escaped Gideon's lips, which were blue and cracked and quivering with a shiver. Her eyes hesitantly broke away from the calming scene above her, turning towards the sound of the voice.

Rey was kneeling between her and Finn, looking scared and cold. Gideon's jacket was wrapped around her shoulders, damp from the snow, and sticking out of the jacket pocket was the lightsaber.

"Gideon."

The captain started moving, slightly, long spats of chills raking her body now that her mind was suddenly aware that she was not, in fact dead. Gideon was very much alive.

"Rey..." her voice was quiet and strained, the end hitching in alert as the memory of the past few hours suddenly hit her. She tried to blink away tears, but they leaked slowly and hot from the corners of her eyes.

Slowly she looked around, picking up her head. There must have been an earthquake, because a huge chasm separated the three of them from Kylo Ren. He was laying in the snow, his back facing them. Red stained the snow around his right side.

"Did you...?" The captain trailed off, her dark eyes glassy and bloodshot. She didn't know why her voice sounded so upset, she was set on killing the fallen Jedi just moments before she was knocked unconscious.

"No." Rey grabbed Gideon's hand, "He's not."

"Is Finn?" The captain's eyes widened at his unconscious condition, so still he looked dead. She tried to push herself up, but she accidentally pushed down with her left shoulder, the exposed nub sliding against the white snowy floor.

"Gideon, you need to-"

"Is Finn okay-"

Finn had a large gash down his back, blood staining the snow underneath him, trailing in a line for a few feet. Gideon guessed he was dragged over here. He wasn't moving, and the captain couldn't tell if he was even breathing. The moment her eyes landed on him heavy panic brought her head back into the snow.

"I don't know... he's hurt." Rey shook her head, "He's alive, but barely. Chewie should be here by now, we need to get out of here."

Gideon nodded slowly, her eyes going back to the sky. Slowly she rested her head down for a moment, heaving a few shaky breaths as hopelessness strangled the three of them. Now that she was certain she was alive, and the day's events had been brought back into her memory, it didn't look so peaceful. The snow stung her face like tiny knives, her body aching and pained. The trees looked dead, the sky unwelcoming.

She wanted to close her eyes, but the dizziness that took ahold of her head whenever she blinked told her it might not be a good idea. Still, though, her eyes drooped and fluttered.

"Gideon." Rey gently shook her shoulder again, "You have to stay awake, keep your eyes on me."

Gideon flinched unconsciously, which caused Rey to furrow her brows with concern. The captain was shaking uncontrollably from the cold, her eyes hazy and unfocused. She looked terrified, but said nothing as she stared up at the sky.