Unforgettable

It was just an ordinary busy day in their family cafeteria. Many people flock to their cafeteria for the food and the ambiance. So as early as 11:00 AM, the tables would be full and people would still line up just to get a taste of the food served. Their off peak hours would start at 2:30 PM. That is why between 11:00 AM - 2:30 PM, she has to muster all the energy she's got even if she's not gotten enough sleep, smile her brightest smile even to rude customers, be attentive to every order so she won't overcharge, undercharge and switch orders. Trained to be in the family business, she knows the out and abouts of the business from the mundane of preparing the ingredients, cooking the recipes, taking orders, talking to customers, being a cashier, taking feedback and customer complaints, etc.

That's her life.

During family gatherings, she would always be teased because she is NBSB (No Boyfriend Since Birth).

"Iha, wala pa ba?"

"O ano na'ng balita, naunahan ka pa nitong pamangkin mo na magkaroon ng asawa."

"Gusto mo reto kita sa anak ng kumare ko?"

"Wala pa bang nanliligaw sayo?"

"Wala pa bang nagkakamali sayo?"

"Naku sayang naman ang ganda mo hija kung tatanda kang dalaga."

"Baka naman masyadong mataas ang standards mo?"

Those are just some of the lines that her relatives, especially the elders would ask her. When in a good mood she'll just smile sweetly at them but when in a bad mood, it takes great effort for her not to speak her mind.

"E kung kayo na lang ho kaya ang mag boyfriend?"

"E pake nyo ho ba? Mind your own business na lang po kaya?"

"E ano kung tatanda akong dalaga? Nakakatakot ba yun?"

Those are just some of her unspoken lines since she does not answer back to the elders. If only she could just speak her mind so they can all shut up.

In their latest family reunion, her mommyla (endearment for lola) asked her what is her ideal guy?

"Wala naman ho, basta marunong magdasal. Konti nalang po yung mga tao na marunong magdasal ngayon eh. Sa cafeteria nga po, wala nang dasal, dasal. Yung mga tao dun puro nalang selfie saka picture ng pagkain."

-------

"Ate, linisan mo na yung Table 7!" Her younger brother whispered to her.

"Huh?! Aba, ako ang ate mo tapos ako pa inuutusan mo?" She snapped at her brother.

"Mag-aalastres na, darating na si 3:00 habit." Her brother ignored her. "Maghuhugas pa ho kasi ako ng pinggan diba?"

"Ok, sige, sige." Dismissing her brother, she grabbed the tray and tablecloth and hurriedly cleared and wiped Table 7.

Of all the tables in their cafeteria, Table 7 is her favorite. Why? Because aside from that is her birth month, that table has the best ambiance. It is a rustic table just for 2 people. Beside the table is the cafe's indoor fountain with koi at the bottom of the fountain while the ceiling right above the fountain has hanging leaves and white sakura. She specifically designed that area and is her comfort spot. So when the cafe is not full, she always puts a Reserved sign on the table. The spot is a little personal to her that sometimes she can't help but be possessive of the table.

And today that is what she plans to do. She could not wait to chill with a refreshing Strawberry smoothie on her favorite spot, just for a few hours before she gets back to her daily grind. She took the tray to the kitchen and took one of the Reserved signs to place at Table 7 but when she was about to approach the table, she was disappointed to see someone already seated on the table.