The Fear Of ✓

Billie EilishNo Time To Die
°~•~°

"try not to worry about the future—so take each day just one anxiety attack at a time." —Tom Wilson
°• t h i r t y •°
°•°•°†°•°•°
°

" —Tom Wilson°• t h i r t y •°°•°•°†°•°•°°

The 25th of January, Year 2024.

     Phillip is power walking on a treadmill, holding tightly onto the handle bars, while Ryan is on a mat across from him; they are both chatting back and forth heavily. Just the two of them and a few lonesome teens doing their own thing. Alexa and Katya walks into the gym, a new part that was made available a few weeks ago, after a year long renovation.

     "Hey, the gals are coming." Ryan jumps to his feet whisper-yelling to Phillip before trying to act casual.

     Phillipeño slows down the mill and gets off, facing their approach.

     "Wow." The brunette goes, smirking. His emerald eyes are not fooled by the boy's indifference. "Your gonna act like you didn't do anything last night?"

     Phillip's cheeks tint a light shade of pink. He makes out Alexa's figure, her hips swaying, as she gets closer, seemingly staring into his soul.

     "Yea..." He replies airily.

     "Guard up, Phillip. You look like a lost puppy." She says, slapping his firm chest when she comes up to him.

     His arms are halfway around her when he blinks back to the present, and Katya giggles knowingly beside her.

     She then gives her attention to both the boys, announcing, "Tonight."

     "Tonight?" Ryan repeats in question, mood dropping.

     They all turn to him. Alexa's eyes drink in the emotions he tries so hard to hide; the worry, the nervousness...

     She tilts her head a bit, watching him. She shouldn't care, she should just do what she's told. What difference would her caring about his feelings make?

     'He's a friend of a friend. He's my friend.' She flinches at the reality. It would make a lot of difference.

     "You'll be fine." Katya tells the boy, resting her hands on his shoulders reassuringly.

     "Roof." Alexa's voice cuts sharply. She turns and walks away after catching Kat's sweet interaction with him, wondering if it was always that easy.

     Phillip's mind wanders after her. Her footsteps are noticeable, so is the fact that something is off. He gestures for the others to follow, and soon, they're all in a clamour to get to the roof.

     Alexa stands at the very edge of the building, on the ledge, looking down at the traffic 35 storeys below. The wind whisks at her hair and she steps down when the urge to fly starts tilting her body with the flowing air. She turns briskly to the waiting trio and begins.

     "David Rosanna's daughter, Donna, will be at a party. Her father wants her home for the authentication ceremony by 11pm."

     "How do you know all this?" Ryan shivers from the chilly air, hugging himself.

     The setting sun glares at them from the distance over the horizon, tainting the sky and the faraway ocean orange and pink.

     "Shush." Alexa narrows her eyes. "Katya will go to the party Donna's attending and dope her up on sleeping pills. Phillip, Ryan and I will be at the main house, us on the inside," She flips her finger between herself and Phillip, then she points at Ryan, "him, outside on look out—"

     "No." The brunette refuses quite bluntly. "No, no, no. Katya and I are partners. We work best together. Put us together."

     She isn't the least bit surprised. Even his excuse of working best with Katya is surprising, because it is true, however, currently, he's fearful. And it's not from being told to work alone, she's heard that Ryan has always feared his tasks and would really love to be able to breathe for a long time. Ryan fears death.

     "I would." Alexa says honestly, "but, I'm leading, so I need to be at the main site. Phillip won't be able to find someone he doesn't know at a party and he can't be on look out. So, that leaves you two. I need one on the look out and one at Donna's location."

     Alexa sees that the boy is now shaking and it's not because of the cold.

     Phillipeño rests a hand on his shoulder like Katya did before. "Believe in yourself, Ryan. Katya believes in you and we do too."

•°•

°•°
After This Chapter
• p r o c e e d w i t h c a u t i o n •

read • vote • comment • share
follow the author after this one for more works