Alan ✓

°• trigger warning •°
°~•~°

•°•
"never stop fighting 'til the fight is done."-Eliot Ness
°• f o r t y - t h r e e •°
°•°•°†°•°•°
°

Mᴀʀᴄʜ 8, 2024

"We've received a call in advance for your graduation. It's a big one and we'll have enough time to prepare. This will be the last mission you do under the institution's name. You'll still be working for me, but you'll be free to go wherever and do whatever until I call you in for a job." Petro announces to Nobosklav's class of 9, Alexa and Phillipeño being a +2, taking in what the short man has to say. "That's basically your graduation, no ceremony, just a last request as a student, so don't fail..." He smiles oddly, "...that would be sad."

When the classes first began, years ago, there were at least 40 students. So many lost their lives because of a purpose that they didn't ask for. It all simmered down to 11 and if they graduate, they'll be Elites to the newbies that will restart the cycle.

The students scatter in pairs for training. Alexa and Phillip finds their usual spot on the mat, but before they can begin, Petro raises a hand for their attention.

"Today's going to be a little different." He states. "Every five minutes, I want you guys to switch partners."

The room breaks out into a series of murmuring and Petro clicks his tongue in annoyance, then yells for them to, "Go!" They immediately stop chit-chatting and get into action.

Alexa, always alert, throws a fist at Phillip's face, and he, with bat-like hearing, dodges just in time. She knows he's way better than when she first met him. After all, he's now the second best in the records. Alexa is just unbeatable.

"Oh, come on, Lexy. Give me a win this time." He teases when she gets the best of him.

"And, let you hit me? No thanks, I'm delicate." She replies through heavy breaths and brings him down just as the whistle to switch blows.

Phillip recovers in time for his next opponent, laughing, while Alexa dives into the next, swift on her feet.

"Woah, there-" Alan Whittaker yelp, grinning at the fiery girl with mismatched eyes.

She stays silent, never slowing down and assessing his every move with the signature blank stare she gives everyone. He's intrigued, has always been, but keeps it to himself. His movements are calculated and almost perfect. His flaw is he's just not qualified for the girl's speed and before he can utter anything else he's on his ass, the whistle is blown and she's moving on.

Alan smirks at how she totally ignored his friendly approach. He isn't hurt, he expected it. Alexa is considered the perfect business type. She goes in, does what she's told to or what she's supposed to and gets out. If you and her aren't sent out together as partners, you'll never get the opportunity of befriending her.

He shoots a quick glance over at the blind boy who suddenly becomes a great fighter over the years. Phillipeño is lucky. Alan gives himself a mental pat on the back for effort.

Half an hour passes and, one by one, students fall out of the activity. Alan is the next to fall, losing to Phillip in more ways than he thought possible and Alexa is up against her partner again.

She smiles briefly, then begins.

Is she bionic, nonhuman? Some students question amongst themselves. She seems to be never running out of breath. The fight progresses longer than it should, because like everyone else, Alexa is thinking and instead of attacking, she's only blocking.

She finally comes to an agreement with herself and says to Phillip in a hushed tone, once she gets close enough, "I want to do it tonight."

He falls over without her even touching him.

•°•

°•°
After This Chapter
• p r o c e e d w i t h c a u t i o n •

read • vote • comment • share
follow the author for more works after this one