2 - Guilt

TW: Mentions of murder.
Ashley
I followed the police officer up to Becky's room, I felt uneasy. Every step we took closer to Becky the more unstable I felt, each time I saw an officer my heart practically stopped. I'm the guilty one and that's all I can think about, Randy is infecting my mind with guilt and I deserve it. I'm letting my innocent friend go down, I know Becky would do a good job of looking after the twins so why didn't I just confess?!? I feel like a terrible person, I look behind me and see Colby following closely behind.

"She's just in there, the officer will let you in."

I nodded, my throat was burning I need a drink. I was let in and the room began to spin. I steadied myself on the sink before looking back up at Becky, cuts and bruises spread across her body, a set of stitches on her forehead. That should be me right now in that bed.

"Hey Ash..."

I look across the room and Becky's awake, I pull away from the sink. But my legs crumble underneath me, I fall down and the room continues to spin. I notice the door open and see Colby come in.

"Ashley?"

He offered his hand to help me off my feet, I stood up and he quickly guided me to the chair alongside Becky's bed.

"You alright Ash?"

Becky looked frightened by my presence or maybe it was the fact I almost collapsed serval times just now. I know I need to get my act together but it's just so damn hard.

"Ashley look at me."

I lifted my head slightly so I could see her face, I tried so hard not to break down but I couldn't help it.

"You need to pull yourself together, I'm alright okay?"

"How can you be alright with this? You're going down innocent, while I'm walking around guilty! It's not fair! I'm gonna confess."

"Listen to me, if you confess we'd both go down. You have to keep your cool for my sake. Now be quiet before you get us all arrested!"

I tried to shake the thoughts out of my head, but my brain was well and truly ridiculed with guilt. I wiped away my tears, before taking a deep breath. She did this for me, so it's time I play my part.

"Right Ash, come and give me a hug."

"Is that allowed."

"Well yeah I'd like to think so."

Becky
I can't even begin to imagine how guilty Ashley feels, but I'm doing this for her so she needs to try to put on a brave face and pretend she wasn't there and she didn't stab Randy. I let her out of my embrace and I see a small smile on her face. I wipe away any remaining tears on her face. Ashley's phone began to ring so she went outside leaving me and Colby alone together.

"I'm gonna get you out of here. It might take a while but I have a plan, everyone will be on your side because they'll all finally see Randy for the monster he is"

"Is?"

"Was."

"Colby, I'm sorry you know why I did this though."

"Yeah, but I kinda wish you'd put me first. Thought about me first."

I protected Ashley at the cost of hurting Colby. Something about what he said just pulled at my heart leaving me with a stingy feeling. I don't know how to respond.

"I'm sorry, I just couldn't let Ashley go down for-"

"She's guilty, she killed him. Why, why are you doing this to yourself."