Chapter Ten

Tessa feels Bishop shift in his sleep, nuzzling into the crook of her neck as he brings her closer. She bites her lip to stop herself from laughing. If only she could stay in his arms forever, her life would be so much easier. Glancing at the clock next to her bed, she huffs, remembering she does have a job to do.

Slowly, she slips out of Bishop's grasp and grabs her clothes before closing the adjacent bathroom door shut behind her. Hot water drapes around her, waking her up and preparing her for the day. Turning the shower off, she dries and begins to get into today's clothes, cursing once she realises she didn't grab a shirt.

Tessa towel dries her hair, the curls already bouncing back as she exits the bathroom and enters her walk-in wardrobe. Finding a shirt, she walks out. She isn't aware of Bishop's now awake eyes following her every move, as she stands in front of a mirror that doesn't give him away.

He tilts his head at her tattoo along her waist, only seeing half of it as it slips under her high waisted pants. It appears to be a dragon, the head starting along her ribs, coiling down. Once again, he finds the design beautiful, unique.

Bishop watches as she ties the laces to her boot heels, making her way to a set of drawers in front of the bed. She's so lost in her own thoughts she still can't feel his eyes on her. Pulling the top drawer open, Bishop is slightly taken aback as she pulls a Beretta 3032 Tomcat out, checking it's loaded and slipping it into the holster strapped to her leg above her heels. She folds her pant back down, covering it.

Tessa stuffs her Glock 17 into the waistband of her pants. She closes the drawer, pulling out the one below. Inside, different blades lay spread out, all sorts of shapes and sizes. Tessa makes sure to place her small blade into the pocket etched into her left boot, before standing up and moving to her nightstand for her jewellery.

Bishop raises his brows at her choice of weaponry, but then remembers who she works for and protects. Tessa pauses as she realises Bishop is awake. She slips her watch on, moving over to the other side of the bed, as Bishop crosses his arms behind his head, leaning comfortably on the headboard.

"Comfortable?" Tessa asks, swinging her leg over his body, straddling his waist.

"Very." He smirks, moving his hands to place them on her hips.

Bishop smiles as she leans down, capturing his lips. One of his hands cups the back of her head, deepening the kiss. Tessa moans, pulling away to follow Bishop's jaw down to his neck. She laughs inwardly as she remembers his torment the night prior, leaving her wanting as he stood up for a beer.

Tessa sucks on a spot just below his ear, smirking as his hold on her tightens and his breath quickens. As she pulls back, she looks proudly at her mark on him, knowing it will be visible for everyone to see. Feeling him grow beneath her, she knows her job is done, kissing his cheek and pulling out of his grasp.

"Don't want to be late for work." Tessa smiles evilly as Bishop's eyes are dark and he clenches his jaw. "Goodluck with... that." She glances down, then takes in his needy expression. Tessa winks, turning on her heels and making her way out to her car, knowing he'll lock up behind him.

Bishop almost growls at her retreating figure, laying his back against the board as he realises what she's done. Payback for last night. He breathes out in annoyance, before remembering her torment on his neck. Throwing the covers off, he stands in front of the mirror, moving his head to get a view of the mark.

He groans, seeing how visible Tessa made it. If only he knew how makeup worked, he could cover it up. But he doesn't so now he has to go to the clubhouse, with Tessa's mark on full display.

Before Tessa reaches the front door to the Galindo home, Emily opens it. She hands Tessa a cup of coffee, the two making they're way down to the study. "Buenos días," Tessa calls, embracing Miguel in a side hug and dipping her head in acknowledgment to Devante.

Good morning.

Miguel looks to Emily, then to Tessa. "You're in a good mood."

Tessa smiles. "I had a good morning." She looks knowingly at Emily, who only chuckles.

Before anything else can be said, Nestor enters the room. He places a map down, pointing out the Los Olvidados location that the M.I.A kid sent in. Tessa tenses, knowing they're so close. Dita rushes down the stairs, turning into the study.

"There's a call on the service line. She wants to talk to you." Dita looks to Miguel. "She says her name is Adelita." Everyone looks to each other, Devante moving around Emily to place the call on speaker.

Emily looks at Tessa, her heart pounding against her chest. "Este es Miguel Galindo," Miguel announces, leaning down on the table. He's been waiting for her call of demands.

This is Miguel Galindo.

"Mi Nombre es Adelita." Tessa clenches her jaw, listening for the demands of Cristobal's safe return. "Nosotras queremos siete millones de pesos en criptomoneda transferido a nuestra billetera digital."

My name is Adelita.

We want seven million pesos in cryptocurrency transferred into our digital wallet.

Adelita tells Miguel where to go to find Cristobal, Calexico East Border Crossing. Nestor glances at Tessa when Adelita demands Miguel go alone. She ignores him, glaring holes into the phone. Emily looks at Miguel once Adelita hangs up, tears welling in her eyes.

Miguel sits down, looking up at his wife. "Prep the money." Devante nods, guiding Dita out as Nestor leaves to go to the location the Los Olvidados were just at. Tessa squeezes Miguel's shoulder, nodding to Emily and exiting the study.

She stands outside, listening to the water and breathing in the fresh air, as she begins her wait for four pm.

The drive to the Calexico Border feels long, Tessa gripping the steering wheel tightly as she drives Miguel and Emily to their son. Parking the car, she opens the door for Emily, Miguel following her out. They follow him through the gate. Miguel departs, walking through the border and takes a seat on the other side, waiting for Adelita's call.

It's an hour before he receives the call, rushing from his seat. Tessa stands up, walking over to the fence with Emily. She hugs her friend as tears of relief flow from Emily, Miguel walking back to the border with Cristobal. They walk over to where Miguel should enter, only to have him pulled aside.

"What the fuck." Tessa curses, watching as Miguel and Cristobal leave their sight.