Chapter Seventeen

"Em come on, you're going to be late!" Tessa shouts from the front door, tired of waiting for Emily.

Tessa raises her arms in question as if to say, what's taking so fucking long? as Emily rushes down the stairs, ignoring Tessa's annoyance and brushing past her. Shaking her head to herself, Tessa closes the door behind her, making her way to the Range Rover.

"How are you and Bishop going?" Emily asks, catching Tessa's attention as they pull out of the driveway.

Tessa smiles to herself, glancing back at Emily through the rearview mirror. "We're good."

"Have you spoken about the future?"

Tessa chuckles, focusing back on the road ahead. "No, we're happy where we're at. Every time we do talk about shit, we always end up naked. I don't know, I just-for the past ten years I would wake up grateful no one slit my throat in my sleep, do what was required of me and I never really had much time to think about myself." Tessa becomes quiet.

"What about Marilyn?" Emily asks.

Tessa scoffs. "He was just apart of a job. He had intel on almost everyone I needed and there was no love or anything, you know? He was just a means to an end, who would end up with a bullet in his fucking head once I was finished."

"So why didn't he?" Emily remembers Miguel telling her about Anita calling Tessa about him.

"I couldn't leave Anita with no one. When I left, I made sure she was protected whilst I looked for her mum. Marilyn's bullshit story about her just never added up, so after some digging, I found he split with Anita once she was only a couple weeks old. He is psychologically fucked up, and one of my contacts told me he's pissed he can't find Anita."

Tessa rolls her tongue against her teeth. "But now, I get to wake up next to a sexy naked man every morning and I don't get shot at every fucking day unless Miguel needs something handled."

Emily laughs, turning to look out the window as silence envelopes the inside of the car. Tessa relaxes in her seat, thinking back to the past couple of days. She loves Bishop, she's happy doing what they're doing-unloading all the problems that cloud their mind and having fun. She knows eventually they should talk about the future, but not now. Having kids and getting married again never really crossed her mind until now, but she wants Bishop all to herself first.

Looking up at the rearview mirror, Tessa notices a set of lights that have been following them for quite a while. They're not too close, but they take the same turns and never stray too far behind. Narrowing her eyes, Tessa turns down the next street, still on course for Emily to meet Miguel for dinner without little Cristobal.

She clenches the steering wheel when she sees the car speed around the corner, starting to come closer.

"Fuck." Tessa curses, startling Emily.

"Whats-"

"Em get down!" Tessa shouts as she sees a gun out the passenger side of the car.

Bullets hit the back window, glass shards scattering around Emily as she lays down on the back seat. Tessa curses, accelerating away from the car as she dials Nestor.

"Nestor we got company." She shouts as bullets spray her car, her beautiful Range Rover.

Nestor starts running inside the restaurant toward Miguel, who looks at him in confusion as he stops dead. He looks at Miguel in shock, the call with Tessa having cut out after he heard gun's firing in the background. "It's Tessa and Emily."

Tessa spots a road off to the right, turning the car to head down it and try put some distance between them. The moment her car rounds the corner, an immense amount of force hits them side-on, causing the Range Rover to flip and cutting off the call with Nestor. The truck reverses up a bit, the driver satisfied with the damage.

The car stops rolling, leaning back and forth on the roof as smoke puffs out of the hood into the night. Groaning, Tessa feels the blood rush to her head as her eyes try to focus. She coughs, blood spitting out. The back door is rammed open, Tessa only just able to comprehend Emily's unconscious body being pulled out.

Unlocking her seatbelt, Tessa falls onto the roof, twisting her body to land on her shoulder-back. Her vision blurs, adrenaline kicking in and allowing her body to become numb to the pain she would be feeling. Her forehead is cut, blood slowly trailing down her skin as she kicks the door open.

Her head pounds, something wrong with her hearing as the buzz in her ear gets louder. Before Tessa can reach for her gun, a pair of arms reach under her shoulders, hoisting her onto her legs. Whoever is stupid enough to kidnap Galindo's family, drags Tessa toward the car that was previously tailing them, hauling her inside where she is bound and rendered unconscious.

Miguel races after Nestor, sliding into the seat of the car as Nestor speeds away, one of the men using the last location Tessa's phone was at. Pulling his own device out, Miguel dials Alvarez, not looking forward to this call. If he had Bishop's number, he would call him.

"Marcus," He begins, telling them to meet them at the location. "Something's happened to Tessa and Emily." He winces as he hears Marcus curse, Bishop concerned in the background.

Alvarez hangs up, inhaling deeply as he looks at his primo and table full of Mayan brothers. "It's Tessa."

Bishop runs out of the Temple, heading straight for his bike as his boys follow close behind. All his worse fears come alive, remembering only days ago he told Tessa he can't handle her disappearing on him. He was looking forward to tonight with her, to relax in bed with her in his arms and against him as he shows her just how much he loves her.

Within minutes the Mayans pull up to the street, Bishop throwing his helmet off as he sprints to the crash site. He falls to his knees at the sight of Tessa's Range Rover, laying on its roof with two doors ripped open. The breath is sucked out of him as he takes in the damage on the passenger side, someone rammed them side-on.

A hand squeezes his shoulder, he doesn't have to look to know it's his primo. Bishop is thankful Alvarez was there tonight, having to go over some details with Adelita's safety.

"Who the fuck would do this?" Alvarez looks to Miguel, who only shakes his head. He's speechless, unable to fully comprehend that his wife and best friend were in that car when it was hit.

Angel and EZ hang their head's in shock, blood boiling as they see the smashed back window, bullet's loitering the inside. EZ leans forward, noticing a camera just hanging onto the frame, a wire leading toward the front of the car.

"Prospect's got something!" Angel shouts, rushing to the front as EZ grabs the dashcam box.

Bishop sucks in a breath at the amount of blood on the driver's side, his head becoming light as he can only imagine how badly she was injured.

"Dashcam." EZ holds it up, a small twinge of relief flooding through Bishop as he realises he may just be able to find his girl.