Chapter Nine

Pulling up the garage door, Tessa breathes in the cool night air. She glances up at the sky, taking in the beautiful starry night, before heading over to her workbench to turn on her stereo, music filling the room.

As she stares at her Falcon, she sighs at the work that needs to be done. She's nearly finished, having broken the motor during a highspeed chase, pushing it too hard in her attempt to escape jail time.

Tessa lays down on the garage creeper, siding underneath her car as she begins to work. Repairing the XB allows her to clear her mind, lost in the music that pumps into the night.

Things are tense with Miguel and Emily, leaving everyone anxious as she refuses to talk to her husband. It puts Tessa in a weird spot between the two, knowing Miguel needed to send a message to the diocese, yet he should have told his wife.

Now as he starts to get desperate, every movement he makes, the Rebels throwback into his face, he seeks Tessa's counsel. She's had years in the field, learning body language and tactics used to bring people down from inside out.

Los Olvidados is something different. They've been watching Galindo before they even first attacked. Tessa can't win their trust now, having to try to destroy the outskirts before she can even get close. But with her now guarding Emily, she can only advise from afar.

Taking a look at the Los Olvidados, Adelita has recruited hundreds of children, roaming the streets and looking out for Miguel and his associates. No doubt all the members had to prove their loyalty.

Miguel has heeded Tessa's advice, sending his own little spies out into the streets, hopefully closing in on Adelita's group. One kid has become M.I.A, which Tessa can only hope he runs with Los Olvidados.

Maybe Adelita can be broken from the inside out.

As Bishop pulls into his driveway, he notices music coming from an open garage. Upon closer inspection he realises it's Tessa's, seeing her walk around to pick up a tool and disappear under her car.

Swinging his leg off his bike, Bishop makes his way inside to cleanse himself, before grabbing two beers and crossing the street up to Tessa's house. Tessa hasn't noticed him yet, as he leans against the garage frame and quietly watches her work, completely lost in looking at her.

An idea forms in his mind, placing the beers down gently and squatting down at Tessa's feet. He grabs her ankles, pulling her out from under her car on the garage creeper, his hands moving to her waist.

The second Tessa feels hands on her ankles and her body moving, she reaches for her gun that was close to her head and pulls it out. She was not expecting to see Bishop, but it doesn't surprise her.

"Fuck Obispo!" Tessa breathes a sigh of relief, moving the gun away from Bishop's forehead.

"Remind me never to do that again." Bishop laughs, not thoroughly thinking his plan through.

Tessa gives him a look, placing her gun down.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, Bishop's hands slowly moving up her body.

He tilts his head, flashing his devilishly handsome smile as he watches the goosebumps rise along her exposed skin. He loves the way her body reacts to him when he's barely even touched her yet. He can only imagine her once he has his way.

Bishop places both hands beside Tessa's head, hovering over her, his face millimetres away. Tessa's breathing becomes heavy at his proximity, her body already hot and heavy as she begins to ache between her legs. "Fuck Tess, I'm not even touching you."

His voice comes out husky, full of want. Tessa doesn't respond, just staring into Bishop's orbs as they darken with lust. Slowly, Bishop lowers his lips onto hers, pausing just before they meet. Tessa can only lay still as his lips brush hers. Finally, Tessa moves up to press them together, as Bishop pulls away.

He winks at her, standing up and grabbing a beer. "Want one?"

Tessa scowls. She feels cold without Bishop's body warming hers. "Oh come on Tess," Bishop sits down as Tessa wheels herself under the car again. "I thought you didn't want to have sex until we know each other more." He teases.

Tessa rolls her eyes, ignoring his watchful eyes as she gets back to work. He just sits and observes her, quite content with listening to the music and just watching. There's much to learn from just watching someone's movements.

Bishop can already gather how fluent Tessa is in changing her motion, easily wheeling herself into different positions. He remembers back to two nights ago when Tessa helped with Alice. She was fluid, the precise silence as she ran across the terrain meaning she would have had to of had years of experience, making her a silent killer.

"Are you going to keep staring at me or ask me something?" Tessa speaks up, the music low enough for a conversation.

The corners of Bishop's lips curl up as he empties his beer. "Tell me about young Tessa."

Tessa chuckles, thinking about the bad shit she used to get up to. "I used to steal cars," Bishop looks at Tessa in surprise. "Strip 'em, rebuild and sell them as something completely different to how I found them. Angel was my passenger, giving me directions as we'd get it back to the garage." Tessa pauses her work, looking at Bishop.

"See, when you're going to take another mans car, you do your research. Which route to take, how long it will take to start it, where it's parked. How many witnesses. One time I took the wrong car, a cops car. So I spent the night in lock up and Angel had to bail me out. He wasn't happy."

"I can imagine." Bishop's eyes almost twinkle as he thinks of Tessa stealing cars.

He looks at the XB, how immaculate the body is. "This?" He points to it.

Tessa shakes her head. "Nah, I won it. Raced for pink slips and the driver couldn't keep up." She chuckles, remembering how pissed the owner was. This car has served her well for many years.

Bishop only sits there, listening to Tessa talk about her younger days, even going into the past ten years.

"Why did Miguel offer you a job?"

Tessa freezes, clenching her jaw as she slides out and sits up, staring Bishop straight in the eye. "He never offered me a job, I just couldn't tell Angel the truth." Bishop can see the pain in her eyes, as she beings to relive the past.

"I killed a man, who tried to assault me. Turns out it was one of Miguel's men, and it was either I replace him, or die. I wanted to live." Her heart twists as she realises she may lose Bishop once he finds out who she is. "Bishop, its not how many people I've killed, I know you have probably lost count. It's-it's the way I killed them. When they ran, when Miguel wanted intel and they wouldn't just hand it over, because Miguel didn't want them alive. Most of the time they deserved it, sometimes they didn't. But that wasn't my choice to make."

Tessa stands up, leaning against her workbench.

"At the start, fuck I couldn't sleep. Shutting my eyes meant I went to hell, all of them there with me. Padrino's wife made it stop, taught me how to shut them out. It worked, I could get my job done and not feel horrible about myself." A tear slips down Tessa's cheek as she continues, revealing a truth no one knows.

"Then I started to enjoy it. Taking their life, watching it leave their body made me feel so fucking powerful. I made a name for myself; Diosa de la Muerte."

Goddess of death.

Bishop walks over to Tessa, cupping her face in his hands. He kisses her softly, resting his forehead against hers. "I heard you that night." He murmurs, meaning the night Angel and her fought about her leaving without a trace. "You said you're tired of it, the killing and watching them die. And now, you came home to protect Emily, to be with your familia."

"You were Diosa de la Muerte."