17: Bonfire Thoughts

A/N: rewritten due to changes in writing style

The moon shined brightly in the night sky above them. In a circular shape, surrounded by tiny stars. It appeared that it was looking down, tender and fondly, from afar at the mates who walked hand in hand, towards the bonfire. The air was chilly, it grazed slightly over Hani's exposed skin, warming it up gently. It helped the girl calm her nervousness, softened the tingling that had taken over her body, as soon as she had stepped outside. The world was quiet and the trees, lullabied by the wind, waved side to side in a dance of their own. The Alpha was quiet, as well. They hadn't really discussed it, yet, it was clear that this ceremony was nerve-wracking for Jungkook, too. He had put so much work, so much dedication into preparing it to perfection. He just wanted everything to go well.

The pack was silent, deadly silent. The liveliness and electrifying atmosphere usual of the place, had vanished into the thin air; leaving nothing but the cabins as traces of their existence. It was an odd sight to Hani. Despite how calming it was, Hani shivered, for she, suddenly, realized why the pack was quiet; surely, everyone was already waiting for them, at where the ceremony would take place. The whole pack was there. And that thought, caused Hani's heart to grow small in doubt. Immediately after she became aware, a faint noise caused Hani's head to snap. It was a small ball of light, feeble and blurry; yet, as the mates approached closer and closer to it, the more form it got, revealing to Hani that the bonfire was just a few footsteps away from them.

The boys and Jungkook had decided to do the ceremony far into the woods that surrounded the pack, in a big open field, close to the flower garden. There was a chatter growing gradually and gradually louder, coming from the people that awaited them. Jungkook's eyes fell on her, gazing at Hani worriedly, for he noticed how her eyes trembled in fear noticing the crowd that gathered anxiously waiting for her. Hani felt the Alpha halt, just before they could be seen by the crowd. Hani's head snapped towards him, her mind quickly, came up with all sorts of reasons as to why he had stopped. Was he hesitant? Was he rethinking his decision? The Alpha was looking straight ahead, towards an invisible scenario only made for him. At last, his eyes fell on hers, glowing lovingly at them; lullabying her into a safe space that sheltered her from all her thoughts.

"I got your back, always" The tone of his voice was soft, mild, yet, a huge determination coated his voice. Hani could tell he meant the words he spoke and, despite knowing words are fragile and can be broken easily, she trusted him. Wholeheartedly she trusted that the words his lips pronounced were just the beginning of the actions that were to come. "Remember that"

Smiling, the girl nodded her head and giving his hand a tender squeeze, silently, she promised the same thing to him. Jungkook smiled back at her, shyly pressing a delicate kiss to their joined hands. Suddenly, his whole demeanor shifted and, seeing it for the first time, Hani observed him, completely enticed by this new side of him. Proudly, he marched forward; his head held high, the strong shoulders that widened with each breath he took. Each stride, stronger than the last one, causing the earth to shake under his feet. Untouchable, unmovable.

The Alpha lead the girl, hand in hand, into the bonfire and aware of their presence, the crowd went mute. With nervous eyes, Hani scanned the crowd that was bigger than what she had imagined. The people sat in the log trees that surrounded the bonfire that burned vividly and brightly, similarly to the future ahead of her. There was too many people for only two eyes to count, however, some faces stood out, the ones sitting at the front: Namjoon, Haeyoung, Moon, Jin, Daeun, Haeun, Yoongi, Suyun, Hobi, Lina, Jimin and Taehyung. Hani and Jungkook stood, taller than everyone else, resembling the fire that violently waved in front of them, contrasting with the dark skies above their heads. The crowd observed curiously the Alpha; they expected every single part of Hani, dwelling on every detail she possessed in her, and the girl felt herself being somewhat evaluated. As if they were checking if she was worthy of the Alpha they all admired so much, strong enough to stand by his side. A warning squeeze vibrated through Hani's hand catching her attention. The mates bathed their gazes on one another, assuring the other that they were ready, prepared for this new step in their lives. And around them, everyone and everything that existed in the world grew quiet, standstill, froze. Even the rotation of the earth ceased.