43: Growing

Her eyelashes fluttered open against his cheek, tickling, and, consequently, waking up the tired Alpha.

The winter morning light was trespassing through the cabin, laying itself down softly on Hani's exposed upper body. She was all rolled up, pressed against Jungkook's chest; his arms wrapped around her shielding her from the coldness of the air. Hani heard the leaves rustling, faintly. The sound of the waterfall. Jungkook's deep breaths. A smile grew on her face, her eyes were still closed shut. Jungkook felt her smile in his skin, her gently pouted lips touching the spot in his chest, where his heart laid. It made him smile too, the memories of last night exploding in his conscience. His hand tenderly caressed Hani's smooth back, enjoying the slow, tender, delicious morning that the world had given them, that day. A mischievous breeze slipped through the cabin's small window, entering the place. Hani shivered and, instinctively, pushed her body closer to Jungkook's. The Alpha giggled and pulled the thin white sheet over them.  

For the first time, in many years, Jungkook felt an immense feeling of utter happiness in his body. The last time he had felt this way had been too long ago for him to remember – perhaps on a day he had shared with his parents. Ridiculously enough, he was sure that he had smiled in his sleep; his cheeks were sore from it. He was so happy – was "happy" even the right word to describe what he was feeling? Jungkook felt like he had, finally, found his path in the world. He and her were now bounded, for all eternity. Or for the eternity that would be given to them. Either way, it would be fine because she would always be there, right next to him. He had said "i love you" to her which were words, he believed he would never say. Firstly, because he was afraid of not hearing them back. Yet, most importantly, Jungkook had strongly believed he would never have someone to tell those words to. After the loss of his parents, Jungkook's mind tricked him into believing the world didn't want him to love or to be loved. Who would even love someone like him? With all his flaws, fears and imperfections? She did, however, from the very beginning. All that she did – all he had ever needed her to do – was to give him love, to let him love her. And, gladly, she had done it all.

Jungkook was sure the world was spinning for him, once more. Conjuring and letting him be in charge of his life. Giving him chances to grow, to explore, to be free from the chains of the past. Free from all his guilt, all his anger. The past no longer gave him a reason to live another day, not anymore. At last, Jungkook realized, no matter how much he tried, he would never be able to stop what had happened. Nothing that he ever did now, would ever change what happened before it. He was ready to leave the past where it belonged – away from him, away from what the future had in store for him. And her.

The girl's eyes opened slowly, quietly. Jungkook had sighed heavily next to her. His eyes were closed shut, a small smile on his face and a look of comfort overtook his features.

"What are you thinking about that is making you smile so hard?"

She asked, an amused tone in her voice.

"Acceptance. The future. You"

Jungkook's eyes opened, immediately meeting Hani's that were staring directly into his. His hand delicately pushed the messy hair from her face, leaving a small kiss on her cheek.

"Are you ready to move on from what happened?"

"Yes. I mean... it will still follow me. The past is not something I can disassociate myself from. It still shaped me into who I am and it will continue on reminding me of what it did. What I did." Jungkook's voice was gruffy and low. "I am starting to accept what happened, in the sense that, I won't let it torment me anymore. There is nothing for me in the past. I got all the answers I need to move on with my life."