• Chapter Seventeen •

Steve landed the quinjet beside a caterpillar truck on a remote icy mountain top.

On board, Bucky pulled out a rack of guns that were labeled 'Romanoff', taking a light machine gun for himself. He then went and stood beside Steve as they both waited for the exit ramp to descend.

"You remember that time we had to ride back from Rockaway Beach in the back of that freezer truck?" Steve asked as he looked towards his best friend.

"Was that the time we used our train money to buy hot dogs?" Bucky smiled as the blonde began to chuckle, nodding his head.

"You blew three bucks trying to win that stuffed bear for a redhead." Steve replied.

The dark haired male smiled before frowning slightly. "What was her name again?" He asked.

"Dolores." The blonde male answered. "You called her Dot."

"She's gotta be a hundred years old right now." Bucky responded which caused Steve to clamp his hand on his shoulder.

"So are we, pal." He said with a smile.

"Don't tell Azar about that." Bucky said, Steve beginning to smirk.

"I won't." He replied as they made their way out, putting his helmet back on.

They made their way up to the entrance which was set in rock, the doors open. "He can't have been here more than a few hours." Steve said as he stared at the open doors.

"Long enough to wake them up." Bucky responded as they began making their way inside, travelling down into the depths inside a caged elevator.

Arriving in the bowels of the bunker, the doors slid open. Steve turned to Bucky and nodded at him before he lifted the cage door.

Bucky readied his heavy duty machine gun, stepping out in front of Steve as he began scanning around the bunker.

They walked along a corridor, keeping close to a wall before making their way up a few stairs. It was too quiet until a loud thud echoed throughout the bunker.

This resulted in the two soldiers to turn around, facing the corridor where the sound had come from.

"You ready?" Steve asked Bucky softly as the dark haired male readied his gun, aiming at the door.

"Yeah." He replied.

The double doors parted at the end of the corridor, revealing Tony in his Iron Man armour as he forced it open.

Steve stared at him in surprise as he made his way over, retracting his suit's helmet in the process.

"You seem a little defensive." Tony said.

"It's been a long day." Steve replied as he met up with the billionaire, still keeping his shield up to protect his body.

Tony nodded slightly and glanced at Bucky who still had his gun aimed at him. "At ease, Soldier. I'm not currently after you." He said.

"Then why are you here?" The blonde soldier asked with an arched eyebrow.

"Could be your story's not so crazy." The playboy answered with a shrug of his shoulders. "Maybe. Ross has no idea I'm here. I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise, I gotta arrest myself. And before you ask, Azar told me where you were."

Bucky's heart fluttered, hearing Azar's name. He had been so worried about her since he left her behind in the hangar.

He knew that she could damn well take care of herself but he couldn't help but worry about if she was safe, had she gotten hurt, what happened after he had left.

All these questions ran through the Winter Soldier's mind that he didn't notice Tony direct his gaze at him until he spoke again.

"Hey, Manchurian Candidate, you're killing me." The billionaire called to him. "There's a truce here. You can drop.." He trailed off as Steve signalled Bucky to lower his gun which he hesitantly did.

The three cautiously walked along the corridor, Tony with his Iron Man helmet reengaged as he lead them towards an enormous chamber with various capsules inside

"I've got heat signatures." The playboy announced.

"How many?" Steve asked.

"Uh, one." Tony answered.

As the three men entered the vast chamber, it lit up along with hazy, yellow mist descending within the capsules. This caused the men to look around them in bewilderment.

"If it's any comfort, they died in their sleep." A voice said over a speaker as Tony, Steve and Bucky began noticing that the enhanced soldiers had all been shot through the head, Bucky pausing in step as he stared at Josef's corpse. "Did you really think I wanted more of you?"

"What the hell?" The Winter Soldier muttered as he began looking around, eyeing his surroundings suspiciously for a threat.

"I'm grateful to them, though. They brought you here." Zemo appeared in a control room as it lit up, Tony and Steve already jumping into defense.

The blonde soldier flung his shield but it had ricocheted off the armour of the control room, coming back to him.

"Please, Captain. The Soviets built this chamber to withstand the launch blast of UR-100 rockets."

"I'm betting I could beat that." Tony said cockily which made Zemo smirk slightly.

"Oh, I'm sure you could, Mr Stark." The Sokovian replied. "Given time. But then you'd never know why you came."

"You killed innocent people in Vienna just to bring us here?" Steve questioned as he looked at the man through the window, making his way over slowly.

"I thought about nothing else for over a year." Zemo began. "I studied you. I followed you. But now that you're standing here, I just realized.. There's a bit of green in the blue of your eyes. How nice to find a flaw."

"You're Sokovian." Steve stated. "Is that what this is about?" He arched an eyebrow.

"Sokovia was a failed state long before you blew it to hell." Zemo replied "No. I'm here because I made a promise."

Steve narrowed his eyes, studying the man. "You lost someone?" The blonde asked watching as a grave look took over the Sokovian's features.

"I lost everyone." Zemo answered. "And so will you." He said as he played the surveillance footage of the event that took place the night of December 16, 1991..