Chapter Eighteen

That was when you disappeared. You transported somewhere else without even trying to. If you had been experimenting with your powers, it would have made sense, but you weren't. You simply teleported to a large tree in the middle of the Pixie Woods. You remembered Peter saying that it was really important to him, but he never told you why. You took a step closer.

"I wouldn't get too close if I were you, dearie," a voice said.

You quickly turned around to see a man standing there, to see Rumplestiltskin standing there. He looked slightly different, though. He was wearing a different outfit. A reddish vest covered a dark shirt with long wide sleeves. His skin was now green and sort of scaly and his fingernails were long and pointed. His hair was wavy instead of straight. "Y-you're dead. I killed you."

He gave a creepy laugh. "Yes, I am. Or rather, he is," he pointed behind him.

You stared at him incredulously. "Then...what are you?"

"I am many things," he spoke eerily and his voice sent a shiver down your spine. "I am the voice...in your head. The Dark One's powers inside you—inside all the Dark Ones. Rumplestiltskin is but one of many. Perhaps I can be another. How about Gorgon the Invincible?"

A dark red cloud of smoke appeared and then a boar stood in front of you. He was gigantic with four long white tusks and he roared at you, flames coming from his mouth towards you. You crouched down, trying to avoid them and yelled, "Stop!"

"Yes, probably easier this way," Rumplestiltskin said, and you looked up, relieved that you were no longer facing a demon boar. You stood up quickly and started walking away from this demon. You were walking towards the large tree that was so important to Peter. You wanted to know why, so you could understand him better.

Rumplestiltskin threw an arm in front of your path. "Ah, ah, ah," he shook the finger of his other hand as he spoke. "You don't want to go near that tree, dearie."

"And why not?!" This...creature was really starting to get on your nerves.

"That tree attacks the regret inside anyone who comes here."

"But...I don't have any regret...at least, not any real regret that would be worth being attacked by a tree. I mean, there are little things, like I wish I would have trained harder or done better in that fight, but it wouldn't attack those...would it?" You backed up as you spoke, however. You did not want to get attacked by a tree, however that would look. You scanned it up and down, noticing some vines in its branches. It must use those to attack the regret.

"Oh, you don't have any regret, do you?"

You turned quickly to look at him, your eyes piercing his with the question you wouldn't say out loud. How do you seem to know more about me than I know about myself? I mean, I guess he said he's the voice in my head, but that still doesn't make sense. He just stared right back at you, a creepy grin still on his face.

"Come on," he said. "I have something to show you." He waved his hand and the two of you teleported. You looked around; you were back in Skull Rock. Snow was still cradling Henry in her lap and crying. The lost boys looked surprised at your sudden appearance, but none of them even glanced at the place where Rumplestiltskin stood beside you. You looked over at him. "You are the only one who can see me, dearie. I thought you would have figured that out by now." He spoke in a singsong voice that irritated you but you shook it off.

One of the lost boys asked you, "Where's Pan?"

"He's...busy working on something," you answered.

"Now, are you ready to begin?" Rumplestiltskin asked.

"Begin?" you fortunately remembered to whisper, otherwise that lost boy would have thought you were crazy. Instead, he simply turned around and sat down with the other lost boys, well, those who hadn't left yet. About half had left, evidently getting tired of Snow's crying and sitting around doing nothing. The other half remained because they weren't sure what was going on and they were afraid of what Pan might do to them if they left. You knew that they would be leaving very soon.