Chapter Twenty-Seven

When you arrived back at camp, the other lost boys were quickly told with cheers that Captain Wendy was dead. Their tones turned much quieter as they heard how she had died, and many shot fearful glances at you. Those looks hurt you more than you cared to admit. You had been with them for how long and yet when you kill the girl who had been the enemy of all of you, the girl who had caused the death of many lost boys, they were afraid of you.

"Get used to it," the voice that you were annoyed to say you had gotten used to whispered in your ear. At first, the tone of his voice had always creeped you out. But now, it was simply just another voice, albeit it did sometimes appear at the most unexpected times. "You'll be seeing a lot more of that fear from now on. Look, it's even in Snow's eyes."

You quickly turned around to see that there was in fact fear in Snow's eyes. But it wasn't the same as the fear in the lost boys' eyes. They had been afraid of you. But Snow, she was afraid for you. And her gaze was also tinged with sorrow and disappointment. Your stomach turned and so did you, unable to meet her gaze any longer.

But Peter's gaze was warm and encouraging. It showed his happiness at your ability to take charge and protect everyone here. You would never allow anyone in your family to be hurt again. Then again, you had just taken out their biggest threat. Peter opened his arms and you leapt into them as he hugged you tightly. "You did amazing!" he whispered. "I know that Snow's worried about you giving into the darkness, and so am I, but how can you be giving into the darkness when you get rid of someone so evidently evil? You're simply using the powers it gives you as a tool for good. We just need to be careful to make sure that you never cross that line and everything will be alright."

You allowed yourself to believe him then and for the rest of the evening. As Pan played the pipes in your honor and you danced harder than any of the lost boys. And you danced with Peter. His hand on your hip, the other grasping yours as you twirled around and around the fire. As the world spun away, leaving just the two of you, just his beautiful entrancing green eyes. Just his soft and even more magical lips.

Until the lost boys threw sticks at you and you parted, Peter smirking, you blushing. But this was a special magical evening, and not even Rumplestiltskin could take away from you. He did try, appearing in the path you were dancing in, making snide remarks such as "I wonder who else deserves the same fate as that Wendy girl," ignoring his laughter, you just closed your eyes and gave yourself in to the music.

But all things come to an end and this was no different. The sky was beginning to brighten when your celebration ended and everyone parted yawning to their beds (the younger lost boys had already drifted away, some asleep on the hard-packed earth of the clearing). With a simple wave of your hand you were soon in yours and you pulled your blanket up to you chin contentedly.

"Now, dearie, you weren't really considering sleeping, were you?" So now that you weren't surrounded he decided he could try to bother you once again.

"No, I was just considering snuggling up in my blanket while practicing my sword-fighting skills," you retorted. "Now leave me alone before I practice them on you," you yawned.

He giggled. "But dearie, we have so much to talk about. Like, how many years have you been with the lost boys before they became so frightened of you?"

Your eyes opened wide, but you let the drowsiness fill you again. It had been a long, intense day, following many other long, intense days. "We can talk about it in the morning."

"Dearie, it is the morning. And the rest of the day, when everyone's not busy sleeping, you'll be too busy with Pan and the rest of them to bother thinking about it."