Twenty One | Dear Present, You Seem So Familiar

GENERAL POV:

Steve Rogers sat quietly on a table just outside the cafe he was dining in, sketching onto the tissue paper he was served with his coffee, a habit he had since the World Wars

Steve Rogers sat quietly on a table just outside the cafe he was dining in, sketching onto the tissue paper he was served with his coffee, a habit he had since the World Wars. Couldn't have afforded to waste a pretty penny for sketching paper back in his day. Nostalgia hitting him square in the face as it reminded him that even now, in an era he didn't even belong in, the way his habits were resurfacing was just a reminder of what he had missed, making him question his sacrifice. He sighed deeply, looking up at Stark Tower, tall and glistening with the sharp rays the sun reflected upon it.

The structure of it all is so... unrealistic. A structure that he could've only imagined on paper, seemed to stand a couple of hundred stories, impossible to be held up that high in Steve's opinion, but yet again, he was no architect. Looked like it was designed to catch some eyes, and in the middle of New York City too.

"Waitin' on the big guy?"

Steve looks up and sees a woman, a white apron tied on her waist, the pale yellow of her dress uniform contrasting beautifully with her skin, the skirt flowing just around her knees, unlike the many women he's walked by the past hour. Steve looks down shyly. "Oh... um, yeah."

She steps closer to collect the used-up plates, placing them on the tray she brought with her. Steve's eyes avert from her eyes to stare at the beautiful, natural tinge of her lips as they parted, starting up a small conversation. "You know, a lot of people eat here just to see him fly by. It's strange... and admirable, what these people do for strangers like us."

"Yeah..." Steve nods in agreement as he followed her gaze to the building he was just sketching. Steve had decided to get caught up with the times, reading newspapers and articles about the famous 'Iron Man', who turned out to be Howard's son, much to his surprise. "Somebody has to step up for the little guy."

"Doesn't mean the little guy can't fight back."

Steve looks at the woman, somewhat surprised at her statement. Did she know? She gives him a polite smile and pours him a new full mug of coffee gently, careful not to pour too much as in an expected result of the hot liquid splashing right back out of the mug. Steve returns the smile, scanning her face. "Well, it's nice to have someone who has the little guy's back. In a world like ours, in this time, bullies are everywhere. It's not somethin' I'd tolerate."

"That makes two of us. No one deserves that kind of treatment from anybody." she agreed. Steve opens his mouth to say something, but the faint ringing of the bellhop bell from inside the cafe alerts her of her assistance inside, causing him to make the quick decision of shutting his mouth instead, the words for his response pushed far back into his head.

She wipes her hands on the front of her apron and sends Steve a smile, picking up her tray. "I... gotta go. Stay here for as long as you like." she smiles charmingly, making her way back inside the cafe to dispose of the dirty dishes into the washer, her black work heels clicking behind her, a sound Steve was familiar with, the sound comforting and reminding him that not everything had changed. "We've got wireless!" she calls out, not having walked too far yet. Steve looks at her in confusion.