Ch. 32

Phoenix's pov

The second I see the clock strike 1, I get out of my bed and pick Harley up. I then walk to my closet and get the backpack.

This time however, I leave my phone behind. I know she somehow found me by my phone last time. I won't be stupid enough to bring it this time.

"Ok Harley, lets leave." I whisper.

I open my bedroom door quietly and walk to the front door as quietly as I can. I then open it even quieter and close it behind me.

"Ok, we made it out. Now to wander around until we find a place to actually stay Harley." I say.

I let out a deep breath as I begin to walk and I ignore the burn in my lower region. If she was right about one thing, it was walking definitely irritates it. But I have felt worse. I'll get used to it eventually. I'll have to.

"Just you and I Harley, it seems to be inevitable. You were abused, I was abused. Your owner is actually in prison, I checked. My dads in prison, maybe they'll meet one another. But for the sake of us, let's hope they don't. You left your owner, I left Demi. Well, we left Demi. Then again, to be fair, had I not decided you're coming with me, you wouldn't have left. But she didn't really want you to begin with. I did, she didn't." I mumble.

I look down at Harley as I walk and she seems calm in my arms. It must be nice to be carried everywhere honestly. I wish I could be carried everywhere like her.

"I mean at least we have each other now. I protect you and you'll protect me. Plus we'll keep one another company." I say.

I truthfully have no idea where I'm walking to at this given point in time. I would have found a park on my phone and walked to that, but I don't have a phone. So it seems like my only strategy right now is just walking until I'm far enough away and have a place to sit.

Then I guess I'll eventually walk enough until I find a park. That's my only real goal, just find a park. Well the ultimate goal. The first goal is to leave, which I did. The second goal is to find somewhere to stay tonight, working on that.

I just follow the glow of the streetlights hoping it'll lead me somewhere at some point. I probably shouldn't, I'm sure I should do my best to stay in the dark, but until I figure out Los Angeles better, it's best to follow the lights. Because following them will lead me somewhere and I can actually see where I'm going with them.

I look down at Harley to see her asleep in my arms and I sigh, "That must be nice Harley. I wish I could be carried and nap. But I have to keep walking and get us somewhere safe."

Hopefully these lights lead to somewhere at some point. I knew they've got to eventually. It's just a matter of when....

Demi's pov

Something about Phoenix wanting to sleep alone doesn't feel right. She hasn't wanted that ever since we've gotten here. I know that my parents upset her, but not enough for her to be upset at me too.

Against my better judgment, I get out of bed and walk to phoenix's room. Knowing Phoenix, I know she's not asleep either anyway.

I open her bedroom door to see her nor Harley in the bed. My heart just races, I should've known. I should've known with how she was thinking to not let her sleep alone. I fucked up.

I rush to my bedroom and grab nothing but my car keys and phone and rush out the front door. I quickly get into my car and get buckled and drop my phone and keys into the cup holder.

There's no telling where on earth Phoenix is. Los Angeles is huge and depending on when she left, she could be miles away. But with where her mindset is, I fear she's very well looking for a bridge. Or even a lake. What's closer, I don't know. But my gut is telling me to go to a bridge.

I know the nearest bridge is less than 10 miles away, so that's exactly where I go. I am praying that this is where she is and I'm going to be there in time. Because if she isn't, I have no idea where else to look. My biggest fear is I'll be too late or this isn't where she is. And if she isn't here, my mind is going to be very unsettled. This is Los Angeles, she could be kidnapped, raped, or found by a sex trafficker in close to no time. She's alone, she's young, I don't even want to think about the rest of this.

I keep on the look out as I drive and it's at a park where I see a dog and a small little girl. Only a mile away from where the bridge is. I park and slowly walk up not wanting to scare Phoenix.

As I get closer she doesn't react and it's not until I sit beside her when I realize she's in a trance. She's not aware of anything going on around her.

I look at her as she slowly snaps back into reality and she looks at me panicked when she sees me, "Phoenix I'm not going to hurt you sweetheart."

She jumps up with Harley and backs away from me, "Phoenix, hun, can we talk about why your upset?" I ask.

"I know what you're doing." She says.

I look at her confused, "What do you mean Phoenix?"

"You don't like me, you're using me."

I shake my head, "Phoenix if I didn't like you, I wouldn't have adopted you. I'd I didn't like you I wouldn't have gotten close with you to begin with. I wouldn't have been there with you at the hospital, I'd have just left you there and went back on tour. Phoenix when I saw I love you and care about you, I mean that. Why do you think I'm using you?" I ask.

How could I be using her? What has her brain convinced her I'm doing?

"I get you attention."

"Phoenix, I'm not using you for attention. If I were, don't you think I'd have already told my fans I adopted you? I haven't, I haven't for a reason. I need you to feel safe and comfortable at home before I ever think about announcing anything. That will be a decision we will make together. I'd you aren't comfortable with everyone knowing that I've adopted you, then I'm not going to go behind your back and announce that. That's not what I'm doing. You're not some publicity stunt. I don't know why I had this urge to protect you, I don't know why I cared about you so much in just a few hours of knowing you. I can't explain that. But I do know I love you more than anything and when I say that, I mean that."

The dim light from the streetlight shining on her face shows her tears and I open my arms. As she stands completely still I put my hands in my lap realizing it's not going to happen.

"Nix, have I lied to you at all?" I ask.

"No." Her voice cracks.

"So why would I lie now? I have been there for you through everything I could be there for. I'm not going to stop. Nor am I doing it for brownie points. I do it because I love you and when you're upset or you're hurt my heart hurts. I don't have it in me to leave you or use you Phoenix. If I wanted attention I'd do something a lot easier." I say.

She slowly walks to me and stands in front of me and I open my arms and she sits in my lap sniffling, "Lets go home ok? It's pretty early in the morning, I know you're tired. I'm sure you're hurting as well. Let's get you in bed and comfortable." I say.

"I'm sorry." She cries.

"Phoenix, I know it's hard, I do. But I need you to come talk to me when you are upset over run away. I am not your dad, I will not hurt you or scream at you. What I will do is listen and calmly work it out with you." I say.

"I'm sorry." She cries.

I kiss the top of her head, "It's ok now, I'm not upset. Let's just get home angel."

She gives me a nod and gets out of my lap and follows me to the car. She gets into the passengers seat and I get into the drivers seat and drive home. It's a quiet drive home and it's not until we get home when I realize why, she's fallen asleep.

I carry her in my arms and let Harley walk behind me inside. I lock the door before I put Phoenix back into her bed. I get her tucked in nicely before I kiss her forehead, "Stay." I hear her murmur.

I get beside her in bed and wrap my arms around her as loose as I can as Harley jumps onto the bed. I watch Phoenix sleep and it's not until I feel she's genuinely asleep, when I go to sleep.