Ch. 14

Demi's pov

When I walk off stage I walk to the dressing room to still see no Phoenix, "Where is she?" I ask Max.

"I haven't seen her since she walked in with a muddy dog. She was in the bathroom with it but I checked and she wasn't there." He says.

"You lost her?!"

"She's got to be somewhere in the building. She can't just leave Demi." He argues.

"Kidnapped, killed, hurt, I told you to watch her!"

"She's here somewhere Demi." He argues.

"You don't know that! You don't even know where she is!" I yell before storming out of the room.

I rush to the bathroom to see a wet floor, but no Phoenix. I check a few other rooms down the hall before going outside and when I open the door, I see her sitting against the building with a dog in a towel. I quietly let the door close behind me, "That's ok my owner doesn't like me either. Well, not really owner, but kinda owner. My dad kinda of treats me like he owns me. I mean I guess he does in a way. Do you get what I mean doggy?"

I turn my head to Phoenix to see her holding a cup of cereal and letting the dog eat out of it, "I think you do. You got abused to didn't you? You have a bunch of scars, it's a good thing you ran away. You were strong to do that. It's probably not easy to live on the streets, but it's better than living there Huh? If I could run away I would. But my dad would have me killed before I ever could. But it'd be better to live on the streets. Unfortunately for me, I can't. It's illegal to run away. Trust me, I've already looked into it."

I walk to where she sits with the dog and immediately, Phoenix tenses up. As upset as I am over her just ignoring what I asked of her. I know I can't get onto her about it if I want her to trust me. I've got to just let it go.

"Where did you find this cute little dog?" I ask.

She tightens her arms around the dog protectively, "It came to me."

Great, now she's attached to the dog.

"I think it's time to let it go home. I bet it's owners miss it." I say.

I watch her lip quiver and eyes water as she holds it tighter. She stays seated as I stand up.

"Don't you think?" I ask.

She shakes her head hugging the dog tightly. I hate to do this too her, but I can't just let her keep the dog. Not when I know her dad wouldn't let her and if he found out she had a dog on tour, he'd only hurt her for it. Not when it'll be so hard to take care of the dog on tour.

I sit back beside her as I hear her begin to cry and my heart aches too much, "You don't want it to go home?" I ask.

"It doesn't have a home. It was all muddy and scared and hungry. It came to me, it wants me. I can't leave it. I'll go home." She cries.

I have to say yes to the dog don't I?

"No, no, no, you don't have to go home. I'll let you keep it if you want to keep it. Is it all clean?" I ask.

She gives a nod and hides her face in the dog, "Alright lets go back to the dressing room alright?" I ask.

She stands up with the dog and I lead the way inside and send a glare to Max who failed to keep an eye in Phoenix. Now I have Phoenix, plus the dog.

I lead her to the dressing room and she sits in the floor with the dog and I watch Nick walk into the dressing room, "Oh cool, a dog. Who brought a dog?" He asks.