Chapter 7

Lily's pov

Groaning, I roll over, only to whimper "God that kills" I mumble under my breath. My arm snakes around my abdomen as I sit up, trying to hold back the pain.

As my gaze scans the area, I freeze.

Where am I? How am I alive? How did I get here?

Instead of being outside in the rain, I was indoors, in a room covered in dust and webs.

A small amount of light slithered through the cracks in the blacked out windows, which revealed parts of the room better.

The air was musty and thick, scented with wet fur, mold and dust. Honestly, it's almost hard to breath, barely tolerable.

A small rickety desk rested against the wall near me, books that seem to have been thrown around the room, pages also littered the rough floor.

Did the wolf stop? Is it gone?

I listen intently, not hearing a thing. This is it, I can get out of hear!

Rising up as carefully as possible, I creep my way across the creaking boards below my aching feet. After what seemed like forever, I managed to sneak my way across the groaning floor, reaching the shabby splintered door.

Yanking it open was a bad idea, searing pain ran down my side, and jolted my shoulder. Plus, bright light hit my eyes, nearly blinding me.

Blinking repeatedly for a few seconds, I take my first step on to the step onto the small lip of wood outside the doorframe, then the next one on the awaiting grass.

The air felt fresh and cool against my hot skin. It wasn't stuffy, or smelling like rot. But I couldn't stop grinning as I make a run for it, shoving the pain to the back of my brain the best I could.

This is it! I can go ho-

The hard sensation of my body connecting with the ground knocked all air from my lungs, leaving me a wheezing mess.

I could feel a hot breath on the back of my neck, causing chills to run down my body as I go as still as a plank of wood.

It growled lowly as it's rough tongue trailed the nape of my neck. We must have stayed like that for five minutes, and judging by that, it wasn't going to leave me alone.

So I might as well put up a fight.

Somehow, I was able to roll over as I use my legs to try and kick it off. The beast backed up, but made sure to give a warning swipe at me with his claws.

"Go away! Leave me alone!" I roar. A thundering growl escaped its muzzle, making my heart rattle in its cage.

It leaped forwards, grabbing my shirt's collar between its claws. I wriggle as much as I could, but he had me suspended in the air by a few inches.

There isn't a lot I can do with injuries like this anyway, but there isn't much harm in trying.

"Put me down, you big dog!" My tantrum fell on deaf ears, which is stupid because dogs hearing is better than ours.

It growled, which shocked me, could it understand me?

There's no way...

But...

Throwing the stupid thought from my head, I watch as he brought me back to the little shack.

This must be his den.

Does he have a pack? Is he a lone wolf? What breed is he? How can I get out of here?

Most of all, why hasn't he killed me yet?

Suddenly, I was rolled into the corner, and that was it, it didn't come near me. Instead, it sniffed around.

What is he doing?

I know now won't be a good time to escape. But I will, whenever I can, I will try, I won't give up!

For Jace...

Rising to my feet, I scoured the floor, in search for something to distract my mind from the terrible situation I'm in.

After a few minutes, a small sigh left my moth. Just old science and math textbooks, along with maps, and erosion books.

Grumbling under my breath, I slump in the corner, shrugging off my discomfort due to the wounds I received.

It's too hot in here, I need air.

Struggling to my feet, I pant for a second, trying to catch my breath. Coughing in the faint dust particles in the air, I grab a small rock and wonder to the window.

Not caring, I smash the dark glass, feeling relief wash over me as the fresh air flowed in.

Hearing a small growl, I flip it off. Stupid wolf, trying to eat my ass, could at least let me breath properly.

Heading back to my previous corner, ignoring the sniffing snorts the creature was doing, I drop down, whimpering at the agony I'm in.

All of a sudden, I jump when my hands brush against something smooth, and thick, causing me to grown.

Dropping my gaze, I see a dusty book with a band for a strap. The word 'journal' imprinted on the face of the object.

I know I shouldn't... But I don't think they are around anymore, let their souls rest in peace.

But... What if they found something out? Or even figured a way to escape?

Trailing my fingers over it, debating if I should, or shouldn't. Gritting my teeth, I grip the band, feeling the rough strap under my fingertips.

When the sniffing, and rustling stopped, I see the creature looking at me with bright icey orbs, so intense.

I make sure to stare it down, letting it know I won't back down easily. After a minute or two, I dropped my gaze, earning a snort from it.

The animal growled, and hunched over in the corner, never taking its hungry eyes off me.

Looking at the journal in my lap, taking a deep breath, I slip the strap off, thinking of the contents it could store inside.

I pray to God, that whatever's inside can help me get home, for my sake, and for Jace. He needs to be out to rest, I won't let his battle go in vain.

Narrowing my brows at the cover, fingers clenching the paper, I take a deep breath, bracing myself for a brief second.

Then I opened it.....