A Squad Solo... AND DELETED SCENE??: Finian and Scarlet

Accompanying song: "Waving Through A Window" Pentatonix cover

Fluff warning! The further I'm writing this, the more I realise it is toooootally fluff. Not sorry :)

Alrighty, confession time: Finian singing with the voice of Scott Hoying from Pentatonix, who's with me?

To be honest, he switches between Scott and Mitch Grassi because the notion of Fin being a liiiiitle bit on the Alto side makes my Betraskan heart flutter.

Scarlet

No it's definitely music. I'm just walking back to my room down the hallway of the Zero when I hear some kind of soft music coming from Fin's room. It's hard to tell, because it's quiet and doesn't have any instruments in the background. Suddenly, I wonder if it might be Fin... singing? He chips in every now and then when we're messing around singing stuff in the control room, but I've never heard his voice on its own before. I wonder...

I walk slowly and quietly down the hallway, finding the green light outside his door that indicates it's unlocked. But I also see the symbol for his Zero-G system lit up, so he probably just forgot to lock his door. He normally keeps it locked when he's got the gravity off. Then I have a thought: Does he sing to himself when he repairs his suit? I imagine him floating in the air, an assortment of tools tethered to his wrists, softly humming to himself. The image is so peaceful that it makes me smile in spite of myself. Maybe it's the only time he feels genuinely comfortable.

I ease the door open as softly as I can, shutting it quickly and quietly behind me. The lights are dim, the room only being illuminated by flickvines. I'm not sure how the gravity system in his room works, but you don't start floating until you're over the floor panels across the threshold. There's a handrail by the door though, so I grab onto it to keep myself out of the way and kind of hidden from view. Very quickly I spot the most adorable sight I've ever seen.

Finian is floating in the middle of the room, his back turned to me as he works on the joints of his suit. I can't quite see, but I'm pretty sure he is wearing a soft-looking Aurora Academy t-shirt and... the cutest pajama pants ever. Soft cotton, a light red flannel design, the elastic waistband resting slightly lower than his shirt which hovers in zero G, so that I can see a thin strip of his back. You know, the bit where you can see a spine and two dimples. 

I can see now that the reason he didn't hear me is the pair of earbuds in his ears, no doubt set up wirelessly to his uniglass. It starts a new song, the feedback barely audible through his earbuds, and to my absolute delight he starts to sing. Loudly, proudly, and like nobody is listening.

*reader, go ahead and turn on the song now*

"I've learned to slam on the brake
Before I even turn the key
Before I make the mistake
Before I lead with the worst of me

Give them no reason to stare
No slipping up if you slip away
So I've got nothing to share
No, I got nothing to say-"

He pulls up the arm of his suit in a fluid motion, almost like he's dancing.

"Step out, step out of the sun
If you keep getting burned."

I grin in spite of myself. What a Betraskan line.

"Step out, step out of the sun
Because you've learned, because you've learned!"

He really leans into it, ignoring his suit completely as he gets lost in the music. His tone is so strong and clear, and he sings a lot higher than I thought he would. Though my heart aches a little when I consider the lyrics, and who's singing them. I wonder if he felt like this at the Academy. He must have.