Squad Duet: Demons (Kal and Auri)

I DID IT I DID IT I FOUND A SONG THAT FINALLY SUITS MY IDEA OF KAL'S VOICE-

Okay so I was surfing through covers on Spotify as I am wont to do, and I come across a cover of Imagine Dragon's "Demons" by Boyce Avenue and Jennel Garcia. I didn't see originally that it was a duet, I just thought the lyrics for Demons was fitting for Kal and was trying to see if there was a cover that suited his voice. 

I listened to this and was like, "finally! I might have something here..." and then a voice that I would swear to the Void Eternal is Auri straight out of the audiobook joins in for a duet and I SCREAMED. My boyfriend is concerned. My neighbors are mad. I screamed anyway. And I had to share it with you. 

Kal and Auri are sitting in the control room. Kal has his Siif of course, but Auri has been practicing on a little hand drum so that she can participate in playing music with him. She remembered this song from back in her time, and she suggested it to Kal because she thought it was pretty fitting for them, both together and as individuals. 

So during music time, they decide to share it with the squad. Auri is barely able to sit still with her excitement, but she's able to calm down when Kal clears his throat to start. The squad can barely contain their own excitement; this is Kal's first time singing anything on his own. He normally prefers to stay quiet and simply accompany on his Siif where he is more confident.

*start music*

Kal:

"When the days are cold
And the cards all fold
And the saints we see
Are all made of gold-"

Auri: *joins in with a smile to Kal to show she is proud of him*

"When your dreams they fail
And the ones we hail
Are the worst of all
And the blood's run stale."

Kal looks to Auri, singing these next words directly to her:

"I wanna hide the truth
I wanna shelter you-"

Auri can tell this is a reference to how sorry he is that he didn't tell her about his father. About the monster he used to be by his father's side. About the things he can never forgive himself for.

"But with the beast inside
There's nowhere we can hide-"

She rests her hand on his arm, conveying her forgiveness and love in a single touch.

Together:

"No matter what we breed
We still are made of greed
This is my kingdom come
This is my kingdom come."

Kal closes his eyes to lose himself in the music.

Kal:

"When you feel my heat
Look into my eyes-"

Auri gives two sharp taps on her drum, as though impatiently wanting to participate. Kal grins in spite of himself, eyes still closed.

"It's where my demons hide
It's where my demons hide."

Auri takes over, eyes fluttering closed as she sings in warm, even tones. Her face grows more serious as well, as she considers her own demons. The powers she has. The things she's done when she didn't have control. The people she lost to the Hadfield... and to the Ra'haam.

Auri:

"Don't get too close
It's dark inside
It's where my demons hide
It's where my demons hide-"

Kal begins his next piece before Auri can even finish. She spares him, oh, just a little bit of side-eye as she comes out from her contemplation.

Kal:

"-At the curtain's call
It's the last of all
When the lights fade out
All the sinners crawl-"

Auri attempts to cut him off too, but hesitates a bit longer than he did. 

Auri:

"-So they dug your grave
And the masquerade
Will come calling out
At the mess you've made"

Auri really leans into her drum now, playing the beat under Kal's melody as he sings and strums his Siif.

Kal:

"Don't wanna let you down
But I am hell bound
Though this is all for you
Don't wanna hide the truth-"

Auri joins back in as they duet leading into the chorus, utterly lost in music and memories.

Together:

"-No matter what we breed
We still are made of greed
This is my kingdom come
This is my kingdom come."

Auri takes her turn on the chorus, experimenting more with the notes and adding in little cut-offs and runs as she sings out.

Auri:

"When you feel my heat
Look into my eyes
It's where my demons hide
It's where my demons hide"

Not to be outshone, Kal jumps into his upper limit, revealing a gorgeous falsetto that's still low enough to be solidly considered a tenor. The light, playful tone breaks a little of Auri's concentration as she looks over to him, smiling at her Be'shmai.

Kal:

"Don't get too close
It's dark inside
It's where my demons hide
It's where my demons hide"

Auri pauses her drumming completely, singing high and bright alongside Kal's Siif. Kal doesn't falter in his accompaniment, but he watches her, seemingly entranced.

Auri: 

"They say it's what you make
I say it's up to fate
It's woven in my soul
I need to let you go"

Kal looks straight into Auri's eyes and pours his heart out.

Kal:

"Your eyes, they shine so bright
I wanna save that light
I can't escape this now-"

Auri looks up at him and they smile together.

Together:

"Unless you show me how!"

They finish the song together, Auri harmonising over and around Kal's melody.

Together:

"When you feel my heat
Look into my eyes
It's where my demons hide
Don't get too close
It's dark inside
It's where my demons hide
It's where my demons hide!"

They end the song with a flourish, breathless, seeing nothing but the eyes of their beloved looking back at them. They eventually start to hear the applause fade in around them as the rest of the squad claps and cheers them on. They grin winningly and join their squadmates, their hands clasped together at their sides.