04. the pollywog

CHAPTER FOUR - THE POLLYWOG

𑁍

"I JUST CAN'T believe she would say that," Steve continued on, and Jackie looked up from their project. "I mean seriously, I did everything for her. I just don't understand what I did wrong. Why doesn't she love me?" His voice trailed off, but he caught her gaze and swallowed, continuing his rant. "And on top of that, she drove home with Jonathan! I don't think she could make this situation any worse."

Jackie sighed, and dropped the marker in her hand to give him a somewhat patient look, even though she felt far from it. Annoyance bubbled up in her chest but she forced it down. She was glad Steve was letting all of his aggravation out—she'd wished someone was there for her when she'd gotten her heart broken, she just didn't understand why he couldn't vent to literally anyone else.

"Steve, we've been over this. It wasn't like Nancy asked him, she was wasted. Drunk out of her mind. I mean, I saw her for two seconds and I could tell she wasn't sober. He probably just took her home to be nice, and so she didn't get kidnapped or something. Besides, you can't control how you feel. The heart wants what the heart wants, or in this case—doesn't want."

"Jesus, thanks for the pep talk, Jackie."

"No offense, but we've already had this conversation three times in the last day and it's gotten annoying. I really want to get our project done."

"You're right," he went to grab a marker, but she smacked his hand away.

"No way. I've seen your handwriting, you're not ruining my pretty work with that shit."

"Then what do you want me to do?" Steve questioned, looking a mixture between annoyed and amused.

"Tell me what I need to write," Jackie responded, nodding her head in the direction of the book on his desk.

"That's not what I meant, but I'll do that too. I meant what should I do about Nancy?"

She refrained from sighing, and opted to shrug instead. "I say you talk to her. Girls hate feeling cut off. Just be honest."

"I can't even look at her. Anyway, acting like I don't care is my go-to, but it doesn't work on her. She's different, y'know?"

"Well, you're gonna have to look at her to get the answers to your questions. Also, the whole 'don't care' crap is overrated and stupid, and also never worked on smart girls."

"Maybe you could do it for me?" Steve asked, and she looked up from their poster to see him staring at her hopefully. "Be my wingwoman."

"Drunk words are sober thoughts, Harrington."

"Jackie."

She huffed. "Fine. I'll think about it, okay? Now retract the claws and stop talking about her so we can actually get this done."

"Jeez," Steve threw his hands up in fake surrender and flipped open the book. "You're so bossy."

𑁍

"So do you usually eat outside for lunch?" Jackie asked, announcing her arrival as she walked up to Jonathan's car with her arms crossed to keep herself warm. The November chill had kicked in, the wind blew her hair out of her face as she spoke. She shivered.

"Well, yeah. I've never really had friends to sit inside with, I guess."

"That's so sad," Jackie commented, noting his glare. "I'm kidding! Actually, I usually do, too. But you know, I'm not insane and don't wanna freeze my tits off."